Help with setting WCS using Carbide Motion?

eer7286

Help with setting WCS using Carbide Motion?

Post by eer7286 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:05 pm

I've installed the homing switch kit on my S3, enabled it in the software, and it is successfully homing, rapids to the preset points in the gui work, soft limits work (I think that's what that's referring to, where it won't jog past its known travel limit in x+y?), and now I'm trying to set a WCS in G55 to run a small part from. I can set the WCS fine sending the command /G10 P2 L20 x(offset) y(offset) z(offset) at the MDI prompt, and I think I'm successfully switching to that WCS by sending /G55 afterwards. When I then home the machine, jog to near the WCS and start the job, instead of jogging to WCS 0,0,.1" (the retract height set in MeshCAM) the machine just takes off into the ether, ignoring all limits and crashing into Z+ and heading somewhere back towards MCS0,0,0 before I kill power. I've tried running the job straight out of MeshCAM with the Shapeoko post processor option, and I've tried adding a line at the beginning with G55, thinking I should have it switch to that WCS at the start .

Another, maybe related issue, is that when trying to load the .nc file, I get a "Machine stopped responding" error and have to reconnect, and then re-home before I can jog. The file never loads. Once that happens, if I just reconnect, load the file, THEN home the machine, the file is loaded successfully and then I get the problem above.

Any input on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost ready to disable homing for now and keep doing what I've been doing, zeroing every time. I'd really like to avoid moving to another gcode sender, if I can. If using WCS with Carbide Motion is just not feasible, I'd be interested in alternative workflow ideas that would keep homing turned on.

I've read through this thread: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6575 and as far as I can tell I've been following the same steps as the OP, which seem to make sense. Only difference being setting G55 instead of G54 so it does not get overwritten on restart by CM.
Last edited by eer7286 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonch

Re: Help with setting WCS using Carbide Motion?

Post by Bonch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:27 pm

I ended up installing Hall Effect sensors on all axis in both direction and got rid of some of my frustration. I dont know if that would work for you but you can see my write up about it here.

http://community.carbide3d.com/t/limit- ... ors/2433/1

eer7286

Post by eer7286 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:52 pm

I might install hard limits all around at some point, but the soft limits are good enough so that I don't jog into the end of the rail by accident. If the machine is blowing through the soft limits, I think something else is going on. Basically, it seems that direct grbl commands are kind of invisible to CM.

I've now updated to CM Build 361, and I think the file load causing a "Not responding" error was a bug because it seems to be gone.

I've also discovered that I apparently shouldn't interact directly with grbl, even through CM's MDI prompt. I set zero as I did before I had the homing switches, by jogging to the zero point and zeroing with the GUI, and everything seems to work as intended. I'm pretty sure it is setting G55 as well, as G54 shows the same coordinates as MCS (0,0,0) which makes sense if it gets overwritten. My WCS that I set, however, persisted through several restarts and homing cycles as I dialed in the toolpath and ran through updates in Windows and CM.

I'll have to test if I can reliably switch to another WCS via direct grbl command, and set it with CM's interface, to see if I can gracefully switch back and forth.

eer7286

Post by eer7286 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Update: I've had success with using 1 WCS by setting work home with the CM GUI, though using multiple WCS seems to be a no-go. CM appears to just switch back to G54 on startup (I've read this elsewhere as well), and switching to another WCS via direct grbl command doesn't play well with CM - it goes to start the job and runs off into the sunset as before, trying to rapid to a point somewhere over my left shoulder, ignoring all soft limits.

At least CM remembers the last WCS entered now, makes it easy to pick up on a multi-operation job the next day. Is it likely that CM might incorporate the other WCS slots in the future? Is there a way to do that now that I'm missing?