Carbide Create - am I doing it right?

patonclover

Carbide Create - am I doing it right?

Post by patonclover » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:12 am

I am very very new to CNC, the Shapeoko and of course Carbide Create (CC). Having assembled my SO3XL and trying to get everything in order before I make my first cuts. I have been drawing up a hold-down (HD) board to go above the supplied MDF baseboard. The plan is to fit a quantity of t-nuts under the board. I plan to mill these out with the Shapeoko. The attached image will give you an idea of what I want to create.

Not yet being properly set up I drew the image in CC then generated the g-code and ran this through Carbide Motion on the SO3XL without the cutter inserted and running. No problem it all ran well - except it took 23 minutes and 95% this time was spent running backwards and forwards across the workpiece revisiting each hole multiple times. I gather this is called the travelling salesman problem. I didn't by the way change any of the Tool settings but accepted the recommended.

Looking at the g-code (and I am only a beginner) the machine went to the same hole 5 times to remove 0.136" each time to complete the hole, which is fair enough. The pockets by the way ran very quickly with only one visit per pocket, they are only 0.075" deep.

It's taken me a while to get here but now to my question. Is this normal or Is there a particular order to draw in CC so as to optimise the code for more efficient milling? Thanks for your help.
Screen Shot.jpg
Screen Shot.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 467 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Create - am I doing it right?

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:27 am

Carbide Create does this.

One can either create individual toolpaths for each hole operation or post-process the file: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Utilities
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Note that if you want to use a post-processor (i.e. G-code Optimizer) like Will suggested, you will need to have a plain g-code file, not the Carbide Create encrypted output file.

I don't use Carbide Create, but I think I remember reading that you have to load your Carbide Create output file into Carbide Motion. Once loaded in Carbide Motion, you can open a window/tab that displays the decrypted g-code; copy all of that code into a simple text file. It is that simple text file that you will use as input to any post-processor.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Good point.

Thanks for mentioning that --- I always forget. Going to add a note to the wiki now.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks to both of you and the lead on the G-code utilities. I shall follow through.

Yes I have already looked at the plain g-code, that is how I found that the cutter visited each hole 5 times.

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:35 am

OK, I have modified in CC to make separate toolpaths for the pockets and holes. Took a while but was worth it just for the exercise. Result was unexpected to me at least. Roughly the same amount of g-code in both cases ~15.5K lines with execution time about 75% of original. The resultant g-code is much more organised even though at this stage of my CNC education I don't understand much of it. And of course the the spindle followed the path dictated by the order of the toolpaths and not racing all over the place. This has to be a lot less wear-and-tear on the SO3xl especially on the flexing of the cables in the drag chains.

Haven't tried post processing the g-code file to optimise it as I have a Mac and most utilities run under Windows. Perhaps I need to start thinking about loading Win on my Mac not only for this but other CNC friendly apps, I'm particularly thinking V-Carve down the track a little.