Pocketing around raised letters and numbers

drummer412

Pocketing around raised letters and numbers

Post by drummer412 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm sure for most people this is a relatively simple process, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pocket out an area that surrounds numbers or letters that are raised out of the pocketed area.
address.jpg
address.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
I am trying to make some simple address signs like the one pictured, but I can't get the simulation on Carbide Create or Easel to do this without pocketing out the entire shape, including the numbers. As you can tell, I am VERY new to this, and any help offered by you guys would be appreciated beyond words. FYI, I'm still learning the technical terms, so bear with me if I have no clue what you're talking about at first. I sound incompetent, but I can figure this out with the right guidance. Thanks again!

HPGreyling

Re: Pocketing around raised letters and numbers

Post by HPGreyling » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:44 pm

I use Maker cam. Here I simply select the letters AND the outer border of the piece of work. Then I select pocket and the rest is the same.in apps

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Your terminology is fine. That's actually a part of the engraving tutorial which I've been working on --- I'll post that now as an excerpt. Hang on!

Initial beginning to this here: http://community.carbide3d.com/t/help-w ... gn/3480/18 --- I'm going to be working on it on the wiki, and here at the same time. Please read through that discussion for a bit of background if desired, so as to give me a bit of time to get going.

Also, there is a video tutorial on this: http://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/video/vcarving/ listed at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _tutorials
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

drummer412

Post by drummer412 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 pm

I have not tried MakerCam. I guess I should look into that to see if the process is a little simpler. I'm excited to check out this tutorial you are posting, Will. I'm hoping to be up and running by this weekend.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Okay, starting at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... (advanced)

First, create or import a suitable geometry. It must have internal text, and a pair of paths (inner and outer) to define the border.

One must be able to select only the afore-mentioned paths --- some complex files such as the sample below will necessitate moving elements temporarily out of the way. Select each in-the-way path and change its coordinates so that it is out of the way --- in the image below, we have selected the outer path and added 5 to the Y coordinate and clicked Apply:

Repeat for each path which interferes with the selection, then select the text and the inner path:

Click on Toolpath and then V Carve:

The toolpaths will then be calculated, which reveals another limitation of Carbide Create's (current) implementation of V-carving. Only the outermost pair of paths will have the V-carve operation applied to them.

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:55 pm

One must then zoom in and select the innermost countours (counters in typographic parlance) which one wishes to have engraved and apply toolpaths:

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:18 pm

One thing which was overlooked is the need to ensure that one has an appropriate endmill tool setting to select.

If one doesn't, consult the manufacturer's specifications, and then add a tool:

(The endmill in question is the #301 0.50" V-Bit Cutter - 90° from https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/ ... bit-cutter )

Note that Carbide Create uses taper angle, not the typically reported V-angle, so one must divide by 2, so the 90 degree bit is reported as having a 45 degree taper.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Repeat applying toolpaths to each counter, naming each appropriately:

One must then restore the paths which were moved out of the way to their original positions.

Interestingly, since in the current implementation, Carbide Create does not consider Toolpath creation to be an undoable operation, one may restore them by simply undoing 3 times:

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Lastly, select the outermost path and select an appropriate endmill and operation to cut it out. Note that if one wishes the piece cut out with a V-bit, one must manually offset the path or add geometry to allow V-carving all the way around the object. In this instance, we will simply cut with a round endmill and use a file to clean up the pair of internal radiuses:

One may then click on "Show simulation" to preview the file:

If all is okay, click on "Save GCode" to create the .egc file for cutting.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm

I hope that all that helps and makes sense --- please let me know if there's anything which is unclear, missing, or which should be expanded on.

Please note that this particular aspect of the tutorial lacks the flat bottom shown in the initial image --- that is the subject of the (unwritten) balance of the tutorial as noted on the Carbide 3D forums and why it's labeled as (advanced) and why it's not yet written. Hopefully I'll finish it up presently.