bCNC pause fail

Dan_the_Chemist

bCNC pause fail

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 am

I've been having a LOT of fun with my SO3... I have been using a variety of programs for the CAD/CAM, including F-engrave, V-carve, Fusion 360, etc. Wow, what a learning curve.

I am currently using bCNC for the Gcode sender because it seems like the most versatile one that works fairly well...

The one thing that I cannot figure out is why I cannot get bCNC to Pause and then resume with my SO3. It pauses, but I have only gotten it to resume once... out of a few dozen tries over several weeks. I have google searched and found that there used to be a problem with needing to hit Pause twice, but that seems to have been resolved. I have tried single clicking and waiting, double clicking, OMG-how-fast-can-I-click clicking... etc. I have tried using either Generic Grbl and Carbide Motion Grbl in the post processing CAM.

I haven't fiddled with the parameters. Do I have to change a Grbl parameter?

Help?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: bCNC pause fail

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 am

Have you checked to see if bCNC supports Grbl 1.1, and if so, if updating to that helps?

Have you tried wiring in a Feed hold button?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Dan_the_Chemist

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm

WillAdams wrote:Have you checked to see if bCNC supports Grbl 1.1, and if so, if updating to that helps?

Have you tried wiring in a Feed hold button?
Isn't Grbl 1.1 compatable with earlier versions? Wouldn't a Gcode sender that used to work with 0.9 and 1.0 would still work with 1.1, but would simply not be able to take advantage of the new featues that 1.1 supports that the earlier versions didn't support?

I haven't tried wiring in a feed hold button. I've trying to find software solutions before turning to HW solutions... less likely to break something.

Dan

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:09 pm

No, Grbl 1.1 requires explicit support on the part of a communication / control program to do anything more than the merest, most basic of interactions.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Dan_the_Chemist

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 pm

WillAdams wrote:No, Grbl 1.1 requires explicit support on the part of a communication / control program to do anything more than the merest, most basic of interactions.
Ah, well it turns out that isn't the issue. I finally* was able to check the version of Grbl in my SO3, and while the board is really recent, it has Grbl 0.9 on board.

It pauses and resumes nicely with Carbide Motion, but not with bCNC.

(* Why did it take so long? My shop is unheated and we are having a winter storm. I had to bring the laptop inside to warm it up so it would boot. I can report that the Carbide Motion Controller Board is happy to work at temperatures down to 15 F ... once you get the laptop thawed out.)

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Normally bCNC works with all versions of Grbl 0.9, 1.0, 1.1+, and I've just test it the Feed hold and works ok.
Could you check that you have the latest version of bCNC.