Editing Imported SVG Files In Carbide Create

Wilbmanj

Editing Imported SVG Files In Carbide Create

Post by Wilbmanj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:04 am

Has anyone tried editing SVG files in Carbide Create? I've found a site to import some neat texts in SVG, but having trouble with toolpaths cutting some words too deep and others not deep enough. The only way I can get them to show up correctly on the Simulation is to choose V-Carve which doesn't have the option of setting the depth of the tool path. I tried Countour which allows depth setting, but the simulation just shows an outline of the outer border and not the individual letters. I also noticed when cutting the project the tool paths were all over the place, taking much longer on cuts than necessary even though I adjusted up to 200%. There is no logical order to the cuts either, rather than smoothly cutting along a path in a word, it would only cut a letter then jump to an opposite corner, cut a small bit, then cut a little somewhere else. If anyone knows of a way to edit all of this please let me know, thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Editing Imported SVG Files In Carbide Create

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Carbide Create isn't really suited for general editing of imported files.

Paths get converted into polylines, text isn't imported, &c.

It's best to create a final file, then import into Carbide Create and there only do toolpaths, and if need be add offset geometry for toolpath generation.

You can to a degree control toolpath ordering by breaking things up (text can be broken up using Boolean operations) and ordering toolpaths in the desired order in the Toolpath view. You may want to try a utility to optimize the G-Code: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... ing_G-Code or https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... _Utilities
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Wilbmanj

Post by Wilbmanj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Will. Do you know if a program like Inkscape would work? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Carbide Create to do what I want it to do and many of the simulations make no sense. I need a program that I can clearly set depths with V-Carve which I cannot with Carbide. What other software will work with the Shapeoko? Mach 3 or 4? Thanks!

Wilbmanj

Post by Wilbmanj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Will, now that I think of it, the main reason I purchased the Shapeoko was it was advertised as "the most hackable desktop CNC". My dream before getting it was to be able to download images, texts, whatever and make plaques and gifts for friends and family. I'm not an artist so downloading is my only option for creating stuff. If Carbide Motion is not the software for this what software can I use to do this? Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 am

Inkscape works very well as a front-end to Carbide Create.

If you need more control over V carving, you can do this by offsetting paths.

For software you could try Vectric Vcarve Desktop or Pro.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Wilbmanj

Post by Wilbmanj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 am

I'll give it a shot, thanks.