Why Is Carbide Create & Motion So Difficult?!?

Wilbmanj

Why Is Carbide Create & Motion So Difficult?!?

Post by Wilbmanj » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:45 am

I'm hitting one problem after another using Carbide software so after hours of trying to figure it out and unable to create what I want, I have to ask for help! Yes, I have watched the videos on YouTube so maybe I'm just computer ignorant, but I have worked in AutoCAD doing 2D drawings for years. Here's what I'm trying to do and having trouble with, maybe someone knows or has been there?

>How do I set the depth of cut in V-Carve? Choices are 1) Depth per pass 2) Step over 3) Spindle speed 4) Feed rate 5) Plunge rate, but no selection for overall depth of cut. I have adjusted the depth per pass, but the cutter does not even go down as deep as I set it, and yes, I zero it out on top of the wood in Motion before starting.

<The simulation in Create does not match what I draw or it barely shows up. For example, when I draw a circle and choose V-Carve, the simulation shows rays extending out to the circumference, but not the circumference itself, same with a rectangle or square, just shows an "X", but not the square itself.

<At Will's advice I started drawing in Inkscape, saving as an svg. file, importing into Create and setting up the job, but only parts of the total project come through. I brought in some clip art in jpg., turned it into an svg., then added some text, but only some of the text came through. I was able to bring in the clip art alone and even get the router to carve it, but the depth was all wrong, again an issue with setting depth in V-Carve.

<The next thing I did was skip Carbide Create all together, draw in Inkscape, then open the svg. in MakerCam, but Carbide Motion did not recognize the G-Code that MakerCam created....I give up! Sort of, but there must be a way so if anyone has wrestled with Carbide Software and has been able to tame it and make stuff let me know how you did it! Yes, I managed to carve a couple of words, but very simple and with little depth control, not what I expected from a product that appeared so hackable and user friendly in the marketing that convinced me to buy a Shapeoko.
I'm not an artist so the main thing I want to do is pull in some clip art, add some text and carve, but this has not happened yet.
Thanks for reading, give me a hand if you can please!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Why Is Carbide Create & Motion So Difficult?!?

Post by WillAdams » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:55 pm

1 - Carbide Create doesn't have controls for limiting depth of cut --- it will be limited by the entered width of the endmill (though if that kicks in you'll get a distorted appearance) and how deep it must plunge to cut a given width. Add offset geometry to control this.

2 - See https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... Import_SVG --- send in any files you continue to have difficulty with to support@carbide3d.com and we'll sort them out
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Wilbmanj

Post by Wilbmanj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 am

Really? Why not? Seems to me that would be a basic function of a CNC with x,y,z coordinates. Well, that actually helps me understand why I have been wracking my brains, trying to get it to do something it can't do. What about the Contour button? There seems to be a starting depth and ending depth, but I don't understand that either, I would think if I'm cutting along a vector I would want it all the same depth, not different from the start. I've tried using the Contour, but the simulation does not show much detail and it looks like it hogs out the inside and outside lines of letters making a very rough outline. Are there other programs that can control the depth of the Z? If I need to use other software do you know of a tutorial that will show me how to control the Shapeoko with it? There are some screens in Motion that appear to accept G-Code, but I have not seen any instruction on how to use them. I've been looking at diyCam and Photo Vcarve and wondering if the Shapeoko will accept their G-Code. Thank for your time Will and I sure hope there is some light at the end of this here tunnel! I'll be sending a file over to Carbide support soon to show what I'm trying to do.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:20 am

Vectric Vcarve has a feature which allows depth limiting of V carve cuts. I believe F-Engrave has recently added that as a feature as well.

I'm afraid that in Carbide Create V shaped endmills are only properly previewed in 3D when used in V carves.

For other software see: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software and the links on that page.

Motion will allow you to interact with the machine using the MDI (Manual Data Input) pane --- see: http://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/carb ... userguide/ and http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/ ... le-homing/ for a discussion of using the MDI.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Wilbmanj

Post by Wilbmanj » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 am

Thanks Will, I'll check it out.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:11 am

V-Carving is a completely different way of cutting compared to using straight (constant diameter) bits.

With a constant diameter bit, you pick the bit diameter to determine the single cut line width. You want a line 0.063" wide, put in a 0.063" bit. (ignoring runout and other physical factors) You want a 0.125" line in one pass, put in a 0.125" bit. Same for depth. You want a slot 0.5" deep, tell it you want a hole 0.5" deep, and tell it how deep each successive step should be.

V-Carving - using a bit that varies in width depending on how deep it penetrates the cut surface requires a different approach. You don't tell it how deep to cut. The software calculates the depth of cut based on the angle of the bit (typical bits are 60, 90 and 120deg) and the width of the line you want cut. Yes, you can determine the max depth the v-bit will cut, but that is so you don't blow through the bottom of the board you are trying to carve because the software determines it needs to plunge 0.50" when your piece of wood is 0.40" thick. You set the max depth for v-carving, and then use a straight bit to clean up the "floor" of the engraving. So, if you tell the software you want a line that is 0.063" wide, and you are using a 90deg v-bit, the software determines that you need a plunge depth of (insert math here to get a made up number for this example) 0.034", so the software will write the g-code to plunge to that depth. If you want a line that is 0.125" wide, it calculates the depth of the v-bit to be (math, math, math) 0.068" deep.

Did that help?
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

rahuldaso

Post by rahuldaso » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:21 am

I'm hitting one issue after another utilizing Carbide programming so twilight of endeavoring to make sense of it and unfit to make what I need, I need to request help! Truly, I have viewed the recordings on YouTube so perhaps I'm simply PC unmindful, yet I have worked in AutoCAD doing 2D illustrations for a considerable length of time. This is what I'm endeavoring to do and experiencing difficulty with, possibly somebody knows or has been there?

Torque Monkey

Post by Torque Monkey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm

You can control the depth of cut using a V-carve bit in Carbide create. You will need to make a circle inside a circle. The closer the two circumferences are to each other the less deep the cut will be. The reason you are getting cuts radiating out from the center in simulation is because the formula that sets up tool paths for V-carve operation thinks you are cutting a pocketed circle. Try drawing another circle inside the first and then try the simulation.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Post the file you're having difficulty with here or send it in to support@carbide3d.com