Depth passes not corect!

franazzo

Depth passes not corect!

Post by franazzo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:14 am

Hi everybody,
I try to do a simple job, a 3/4" deep pocket hole in a 1" thick work piece with the easel program.
The settings were : Feeding rate 30
Plunge rate 9 inch per/ min
Depth per pass 0.062
The overall size 4" x 3" were cut fine but the depth pass was almost 3/8" deep a go around, and after three passes I had to shut it off manually, because I was afraid it would go past the material thickness.
Does any one have any idea why it didn't do my setting of 0.062 depth per passing?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Depth passes not corect!

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm

Post the file?

If the file is okay, it's usually a problem with:

- incorrectly set initial Z-zero --- doesn't match the file
- insufficient belt tension
- endmill getting pulled into cut due to too much engagement
- loose pulley set screw or other problem causing backlash so that the machine doesn't lift as much as it ought when it ought
- bottoming out against the top of the machine on the first retract causing all subsequent movement to be too deep

Mill a diamond-circle-square test?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Will
Yes, this did happen. The machine bottomed out against the top and made an awful noise. I would like to know -if I start the job over again and go to the zero setting on top of my work piece will the machine reset by itself?
If it doesn't reset automatically then how would I go about correcting this problem?
Thanks for your time.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Rehome and avoid hitting the top (check your safety/retract height) and it should be fine.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets