New RasPyCNC with probing and shuttleXpress support.

rincewind

New RasPyCNC with probing and shuttleXpress support.

Post by rincewind » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello Forum!

I haven't written in a long time because I was busy making stuff :)

But some of you might remember quite some time ago I posted here a project I had been working on, a Python-based Grbl controller called RasPyCNC, which could be used with a raspberry pi and a 3.5" touchscreen (see image below for example).

Well, I've been working more on it and I added a couple of feature that might make it more appealing to everybody.

The first is the support for the ShuttleXpress controller for jogging the machine. Not much to say there, it works :)

The second (and this is the one I'm most excited about), is the support for Z probing, mostly intended for PCB fabrication. Connect the probe, select the etching job file, click "Grid Probe" and then "Start". That's it. Perfect PCBs every time.

If you are interested, check it out on the github page: https://github.com/fsantini/rasPyCNCController . There is also a Raspbian image with batteries included for download in the "Releases" section.

If you like it, please test it and help me developing it! So far it's a "one-man-project" but I could really use a hand to make it awesome!

Thanks,

Francesco

Shapeoko 3 #0166 w/Kress 1050 Spindle
Prusa i3 Mk3

cgallery

Re: New RasPyCNC with probing and shuttleXpress support.

Post by cgallery » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 am

Pretty sharp!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm

A feature request --- can you add a command line option (or interface option) to use Grbl's Check mode? $C?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

rincewind

Post by rincewind » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:52 am

WillAdams wrote:A feature request --- can you add a command line option (or interface option) to use Grbl's Check mode? $C?
Sure! Then I suppose you will also want to see the serial communication when check mode is enabled, right?
Prusa i3 Mk3

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Just a confirmation of whether or no there was an error, and if so, what it was, and at what line should suffice.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 pm

First of all, this is a great idea. I have an unused raspberry pi and am in need of a computer to control my Shapeoko. I plan to order a monitor and a joypad and try it out.

How do you connect the raspberry to the Shapeoko? I've always connected with a USB cable, but I wonder if this needs a different connection.

And are both a touchscreen and a joypad really needed. Is the touchscreen just functioning as a monitor, or is one able to use the touchscreen functions? If so, why is a joypad needed?

Also, have you tried BCNC or UGS with the raspberry?

Thanks for developing this.

rincewind

Post by rincewind » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Ric wrote:First of all, this is a great idea. I have an unused raspberry pi and am in need of a computer to control my Shapeoko. I plan to order a monitor and a joypad and try it out.

How do you connect the raspberry to the Shapeoko? I've always connected with a USB cable, but I wonder if this needs a different connection.
Thank you so much for the kind words! The connection is USB, nothing fancy there.
And are both a touchscreen and a joypad really needed. Is the touchscreen just functioning as a monitor, or is one able to use the touchscreen functions? If so, why is a joypad needed?
There are some buttons you can press in the GUI (and they are big enough to be pressed with a finger or a simple stylus on a 3.5" monitor), however jogging is only done with a joypad, a shuttlexpress or a keyboard (limited functionality).

The joypad is the most developed input device, and in principle you can do everything with it, including choosing file to execute etc.
Also, have you tried BCNC or UGS with the raspberry?
Not really, but I did try them on a computer. And they need a bigger screen. I wanted a solution that could work with the minimum amount of extra footprint in my shop.
Thanks for developing this.
I hope you like it!
Prusa i3 Mk3

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Optionally, integrate it completely?

I've been suggesting for a while that the default mode should be:

- make MD5 hash of file when selected
- compare to local list of stored hashes --- if present, send
- if not present, send in check mode first, either presenting error, or storing hash and then sending

rincewind

Post by rincewind » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:03 pm

WillAdams wrote:Optionally, integrate it completely?

I've been suggesting for a while that the default mode should be:

- make MD5 hash of file when selected
- compare to local list of stored hashes --- if present, send
- if not present, send in check mode first, either presenting error, or storing hash and then sending
This sounds really cool. I will have some time this weekend, I will try to implement it. Might be a bit slow on long files though. Maybe modify the gcode file by adding a specific comment line if it was already checked? This way, one can also decide to skip the test on a specific file if he wants to. Or do you mean it as a safety feature for machines that accept "foreign" files? In this case, one could have a parameter that forces check every time.
Prusa i3 Mk3

rincewind

Post by rincewind » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:52 pm

I just pushed a significant update to the software. It now supports Grbl1.1 (before it didn't), correctly supports homing, and also adds the possibility of checking the GCode before running it.
Prusa i3 Mk3