FreeCAD CAM workbench (Path)

sliptonic

FreeCAD CAM workbench (Path)

Post by sliptonic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:34 pm

After about 2 years of development, FreeCAD has recently released version 0.17. It is a multi-platform parametric 3D modeling tool based on the OCC geometry kernel. There are binaries available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Version 17 has many major new features and improvements including an overhauled Part Design workbench, FEM, and a new workbench for producing technical drawings (TechDraw). Best of all, (IMHO) 0.17 also has a very functional CAM workbench called Path. Path provides a very good 2.5D support, visualization, simulation, and a flexible post-processor system.

A short highlight reel of FreeCAD 0.17:

I've been involved in the development of the Path workbench and I also have a youtube playlist of videos going here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARnmuW ... t7MLdCO3io

I'd be grateful if one of the wiki editors could please update the CAM page appropriately with links to
FreeCAD homepage: https://www.freecadweb.org
FreeCAD Path Wiki page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Workbench

AnonymousPerson

Re: FreeCAD CAM workbench (Path)

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 am

Awesome. :smile:

I've personally only looked at FreeCAD briefly, as my interest these days is in 4th and 5th axis stuff which FreeCAD doesn't do yet. When it does though, Fusion 360 will likely be dropped like a bunch of hot rocks. :)

One other thought... what does it take to create a post processor for the Path workbench?

Asking because I've recently started helping out the TinyG/g2core team, and there doesn't seem to be a post processor for that in FreeCAD atm.
Shapeoko 3 #516

sliptonic

Post by sliptonic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:41 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:Awesome. :smile:

I've personally only looked at FreeCAD briefly, as my interest these days is in 4th and 5th axis stuff which FreeCAD doesn't do yet. When it does though, Fusion 360 will likely be dropped like a bunch of hot rocks. :)
There are a couple people working on 4th axis and lathe operations now but nothing is ready yet. I've also written a 'dressup' operation that can wrap a path on a cylinder similar to the way Gcoderipper does it.
One other thought... what does it take to create a post processor for the Path workbench?

Asking because I've recently started helping out the TinyG/g2core team, and there doesn't seem to be a post processor for that in FreeCAD atm.
It's pretty easy. The post-processors are just stand-alone python files. I'd start with the linuxcnc_post.py since it's probably the most mature. Make a copy and modify it as needed. The only requirement is that it have a name that follows the format XXXXX_post.py. You can drop it into your FreeCAD macro directory and as long as it follows the naming convention, Path will find it.
I'd be happy to help with this.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks, I'll likely take you up on that. Probably won't be too far away either. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516