Newbie workflow help on curved stock

MustStayBusy

Newbie workflow help on curved stock

Post by MustStayBusy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm a newbie when it comes to cnc and I'm very interested in the Shapeoko 3.
My big question right now is using the S03 on curved stock. I've downloaded vcarve pro and have imported a curved stock stl file (just a simple polygon) but when I show the 3d view the view does not display the curved stock just a rectangle so I'm trying to verify that I can actually use the software to evenly carve over a curved surface? Does anyone have pictures, etc?

I've also seen g code ripper and it seems to be able to map an object and adjust the g code, using a digitizing probe and I've read just about everything that I can find but I'm still not sure that I can accomplish what I want. What would that workflow look like? Would it be create the project on square stock in vcarve pro or any other program, save the gcode file, map the curved surface using g code ripper, saving the adjusted file and then run the adjusted file in carbide motion or vcarve pro?

If any of this is correct is there a better way to do this using other software/methods?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Newbie workflow help on curved stock

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:21 pm

The best thing is to model the curve in a 3D CAD program.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

MustStayBusy

Post by MustStayBusy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 am

So something like fusion 360 or do you have other suggestions?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Depends on how you want to work --- I always use OpenSCAD, want to learn Solvespace, and am trying to learn Toolpath Language.

Moment of Inspiration is supposed to be very easy to use, and folks w/ Apple iPad Pro and Apple Apple Pencil seem to do well with Shapr3D.

Other free things to try include Art of Illusion and FreeCAD and Blender.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Vectric has a lot of good tutorials available on their website (and YouTube). I am pretty sure I saw one concerning carving letters/words on a curved surface. Maybe one of those tutorials would mention/show how they have the curved surface modeled in their software? If not, you can probably get some good feedback from the Vectric forums.

No need to learn yet another software before seeing if your current software works. I can't imagine that V-Carve doesn't support this, seeing as it is so popular.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 am

I probably don't understand the problem, but I'd suggest the use of the Auto-Leveling capabilities of either BCNC or ChiliPeppr.

The simplified work flow is:
Define the part you want to cut as if it's going a flat surface;
Place the material on the SO3;
Load the part's gcode into BCNC or Chilipeppr;
Use a probe to measure the curves in the material;
Apply the probe's measurement to the part's gcode;
BCNC and Chilipeppr modify the Z movements accounting for the curve of the material.
Run the gcode.

Works pretty well.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces