New wasteboard using v-slot extrusions

Talk about all things CNC
rrohowetz

New wasteboard using v-slot extrusions

Post by rrohowetz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 pm

I just finished assembling my S3 XL a couple of weeks ago. I am about to surface level my supplemental mdf table. I had mapped the factory wasteboard. The factory wasteboard was about .03" higher on one end than the other. The front to back tolerances were pretty good - .004" variation. I noticed that when I was mapping the mdf wasteboard I could get a .01 deflection by moderately pressing down on the wasteboard. I am wondering if anyone has made a wasteboard out of v-slot extrusions? I have seen some commercial machines with this type of bed using the 2020 or the 2080 extrusions. If so did you have any problems and how did it work out?

Dallas

Re: New wasteboard using v-slot extrusions

Post by Dallas » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:13 pm

I just finished upgrading my wasteboard to t-slot extrusions last night. Previously I had a single piece MDF wasteboard with a zillion 1/4-20 thread inserts everywhere (except where I needed them on any particular job :lol: )
IMG_6855.jpg
IMG_6855.jpg (92.67 KiB) Viewed 71 times
I wanted the option to use lubricant/coolant when cutting metal without destroying the wasteboard. I also figured the aluminum extrusion would give the Shapeoko more rigidity. The threaded aluminum plates were way too expensive so I found some cheap 8020 from China.

I opted for a 'bread board' style assembly (if you're familiar with woodworking).
IMG_6839.jpg
IMG_6839.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Two long pieces that run the length of the gantry in the x direction and filler pieces between running in the y direction. The extrusion I was using was 2060 (20 mm x 60 mm) so I cut the filler pieces 18 1/8" long and the two long pieces 28" (iirc).

I used mounting plates (on the bottom of the assembly) to hold it all together.
IMG_6840.jpg
IMG_6840.jpg (133.53 KiB) Viewed 71 times
The 18 1/8" was about a 1/16" too long and I struggled to get the Shapeoko mounted to the wasteboard without elongating the mounting holes.

I managed... but there was lots of colorful language involved.

I haven't trammed the Shapeoko or checked for flatness yet. I can say that the front metal piece that connects the left and right y rails was bowed in the middle. I had to get out a clamp to bring it down to the aluminum extrusion to get the t-nuts to thread properly.

I'm pretty sure the bow was in the rail and not the extrusion. I noticed the bow when compared to the previous MDF wasteboard.

At any rate, I now have a zillion t-slots to clamp my future workpiece. Hopefully they'll be in the right places. :shock:

Since I don't want to cut into the aluminum extrusion, I plan on using some 1/4" hardboard as an underlayer when I need to cut completely through my workpieces.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: New wasteboard using v-slot extrusions

Post by WillAdams » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:32 am

Way cool!

Are the mounting plates a standard part? If so, purchase link?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)