Kit vs. Individual Parts for Large Shapeoko

Talk about all things CNC
Cattmy

Kit vs. Individual Parts for Large Shapeoko

Post by Cattmy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:04 am

I'm looking to build a slightly larger Shapeoko (40mmx800mm) than whats provided in the kits. Is it cheaper to buy the kit and the extra Makerslide, or buying each part individuality?

Thanks in advance!

cvoinescu

Re: Kit vs. Individual Parts for Large Shapeoko

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 pm

As far as I know, none of the custom parts in the ShapeOko kit are available separately, so you have no choice but order the kit. Even if you can machine your own motor plates, carriage plate, lead nut and Z motor mount, you'd still need to buy more fasteners than you need (e.g. bag of 100 when you need, say, four), and there aren't many sources for the V-wheels, idlers and eccentric spacers besides Inventables -- at least not in the US. Having put a similar kit together myself, I am fairly sure you're better off buying the kit, MakerSlide and extra belt. (And don't forget that you'll need dual Y drive if you extend the X.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I didn't know a kit was available so I sourced all of the parts myself.

It is possible, bolt depot has very nice selection and sells bolts with minimum quantity of 1. However, it is hard to stay organized and order all things you need in a timely manner. It is also a decent amount of work.

That said, ordering parts one at a time makes you think harder about what exactly you are doing...

Cattmy

Post by Cattmy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Levlandau, if you don't mind, how much was your materials? Was it under $225?

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm

err, I am not as organized as I like to be. See the image below for a guestimate at the cost. Keep in mind, that I was planning on building a very large 1200mm x 1200mm shapeoko, so the cost may decrease if the size is not so large. The list includes 4 makerslide rails, 2 for the x-axis (to have a double x-axis upgrade) and 1 rail for each side of the y-axis.

Also, the list below is just for guidance, may not be fully accurate or complete. If you are expanding from a stock setup, it is also recommended you have the dual-y axis motor upgrade. Also I need to add cable management to this list.
Attachments
Cropper Capture[872].jpeg
Cropper Capture[872].jpeg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Cattmy

Post by Cattmy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for the chart Lev. I will do more research.

EDIT: How will i be able to get a z-axis motor mount?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Ask someone to machine one for you on their ShapeOko, or I will have some spares of my design (it's laser-cut out of stainless steel in two halves, like a sandwich) by the end of January.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:13 pm

err, in all discussion above I assumed you meant a kit for making the shapeoko larger. I started with the original inventables kit and bought parts to expand to a larger shapeoko.

Would recommend buying the kit and going from there. Sourcing all parts yourself is doable, but may take a looong time. Figuring out all of the details of exactly what you need is tough.

Cattmy

Post by Cattmy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks all! I did an excel sheet and it seems more expensive to source each part individually than the kit.

madmike88

Post by madmike88 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:11 am

Cattmy wrote:Thanks all! I did an excel sheet and it seems more expensive to source each part individually than the kit.

+1 from experience... Definitely get the kit...