What building materials you keep at home?

Talk about all things CNC
alpha

What building materials you keep at home?

Post by alpha » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

This is a cross post, I did ask this also at buildlog.net - but I would like some input from you all as well.
I'm getting tired to to run to ACE, Home Depot or Lowes for fasteners. Looks like there are always out of at least one item and I have to go to multiple stores. And it looks like the prices are very high if I buy in low quantities. Well I do life in a ruale area, some may don't have this issue. So my idea was to order some common stuff and keep a little stock at home. I want to limit how often I pay shipping and handling so I'm looking for suggestion for my list. As a owner of a ShapeOko and Ord Bot I know from the BOM I need at least different M5 screws:

for sure some:
M5 Hex Nut
M3 and M5 Washer
M3 x 4mm
M3 x 8mm
M5 x 6mm
M5 x 8mm
M5 x 10mm
M5 x 12mm

maybe?
M3 x 45mm or 50mm
M5 x 16mm
M5 x 30mm
M5 x 55mm

Any other sizes you stock that may come handy?

Any other parts you think it would be good to have ready?

Thanks for your input!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: What building materials you keep at home?

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:07 pm

The longer lengths look to be very useful when extending or when coping w/ stripped out threads.

I tossed some nylon spacers into my still-in-process Inventables order as well as some spare insertion nuts.

Getting some lengths of aluminum stock (flat and angled) to craft brackets is something I've been considering.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

calica

Re: What building materials you keep at home?

Post by calica » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:10 am

I bought a bunch of M3, M4, and M5 socket head from boltmax.com. Very reasonably priced and shipping seemed good. Arrived quickly too.

Having a bunch of alum angle is really useful too. Usually 1/8". 1/16 can flex. Amazon seems reasonable but I have prime for free 2day shipping.

I got a sheet of 3/4 and 1/2 MDF and 1/4 ply. Cut them down to 8x10. I use them for test runs and prototyping.

Still need a good source for plastics. My local ACE has a "scrap" bin that they charge by pound. Never sure of exactly what you're getting and the price isn't great.