Wasteboard Flattening Ridges

Talk about all things CNC
Jeremydw

Wasteboard Flattening Ridges

Post by Jeremydw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:14 am

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place for this as I am new, but I am running into an issue when I am surfacing my supplemental MDF waste board on my Shapeoko 3 XXL.

I am using a Whiteside 1" spoil board bit, and I added it into the carbide 3d tool library. The path runs fine, however in one of the directions there are slight ridges left between passes. This only occurs when the bit is moving North and South along the Y axis, but not when it is moving east to west on the X axis. I have also attached photos of what it looks like, and you can see slight ridges in both but you cannot feel them in the east/west direction.

I used a pocketing toolpath to cut the area out, so I was wondering if there was something I did wrong with the tooling, or if there was a way to do a pocketing toolpath with the CNC doing its major motions East to West as opposed to a full square.

Any thoughts?
North-South-min.jpg
North-South-min.jpg (545.57 KiB) Viewed 252 times
East-West-min.jpg
East-West-min.jpg (444.79 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Big Emma

Re: Wasteboard Flattening Ridges

Post by Big Emma » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Looks like the left to right rail is slightly tilted either toward the front or back. This is usually not an issue until you attempt to flatten your spoil board. Mark Lindsay has an excellent video on this as well as many others. See the youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFPadoZH5Q