Chips and dust - suck or blow?

Talk about all things CNC
levlandau2

Re: Chips and dust - suck or blow?

Post by levlandau2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Ok so aluminum probably needs coolant in the ideal case, however there are many many videos on youtube showing both hobbyist and industrial systems cutting aluminum without coolant. Considering the smell and mess of coolant, I would rather go the dry route.

What do laser cutters need that much air for?

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Lasers don't need much, just a soft stream to move smoke out of the path of the beam. I was hoping to use my existing compressed air but I think that was the wrong approach; high pressure/low volume versus low pressure/high volume.

Cwalster

Post by Cwalster » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Milling aluminum dry will work just fine, however your tool life is going to suffer drastically. If its occasional work just invest is a spray bottle of light oil and spritz the endmill every so often. It doesn't take much.

tioJim

Post by tioJim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 am

Interesting, thanks. I didn't realise that's how compressors work but it's obvious now that I think of it. I've been looking at noise levels of vacuums. The Dyson DC19db claims to be around 68db compared with 80db and above for your typical vac. I watched a demo and you can hear somebody talking above it and they don't need to raise their voice. It's not a shop vac though so I'm not sure how it'd hold up sucking acrylic, wood and metal chips all day long and I don't know if domestic vacuum cleaners are designed to run for long periods. I have an aquarium pump that I use for aerating etching solution for making PCBs. I've just plugged it in and the air stream is very weak. I haven't got a hose to hand and it's too late to run a job but I'll experiment and report back.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Best to not let chips into the works --- try something like an Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone --- looks like something one could rig up pretty easily.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 am

As long as you don't use coolant, the worst that the metal chips will do to the Dyson is scratch the inside of the polycarbonate cylinder, making it opaque. Acrylic and MDF are harmless. The cyclone and the pre-motor filter will block everything from reaching the motor. Depending on the shape and volume of the chips, you may have to empty it very often, but sometimes you can adjust your cut parameters to generate more compact chips. The real problem is that domestic vacuum cleaners aren't designed for continuous operation, so they're likely to overheat and die (or at least shut off). This is likely to be a problem even with a Dyson, in my opinion.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Homeworker

Post by Homeworker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 am

In our factory, we use Extraction Systems like the workbench in the link.
It has vacuum plates, too.