Bit Setter Failure

Talk about all things CNC
Lookin4help

Bit Setter Failure

Post by Lookin4help » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 pm

I am having problems with Bit Setter. So, I was just beginning a project, my router came to the front center and Bit Setter asked for tool, which I inserted. Bit Setter did it's thing, checking the tool. I then used my Touch Pad to work our X, Y, Z axis. Just after finishing this we had a power outage. My computer shut down in the midst of all this. After I restarted my computer I began working my way through the process again. At the point where I have set my X, Y, Z zero point and then begin to run a project Bit Setter tells me that I need to insert a particular router bit, which I do, and when I tell it to resume it moves the router over the top of Bit Setter, pauses and then give me an error message. I have done this about 3 times and keep getting the same results.

Do I have a control board issue? Is it a software issue? Any ideas or help?

Thanks,

Lookin4help

Re: Bit Setter Failure

Post by Lookin4help » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:17 pm

This is a reply to my own message. It may be that someone "in the know" might confirm what I suspect. Today, about 24 hours after my post yesterday, I thought I would go out just to see if my machine would run. Low and behold it is running just fine. Why the difference between yesterdays attempts and today's? As far as I can tell the only difference is "time." This makes me wonder if there is something that works like a capacitor which holds a charge for some time, only in this case it has to do with Bit Setter so that when you have a problem it retains that problem in memory (someplace) and keeps it there for some unknown period of time until, like a capacitor, it loses it charge or in this case error? Any ideas? If anyone has an answer it would be nice to know just how long you have to wait or if there is some way to clear the problem without a long wait.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:40 pm

This is my second reply to my own original post, a follow-up. After running the project I mentioned in my second post I attempted to run another project and immediately I ran into the same problem with Bit Setter. Maybe this is a software problem?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:32 pm

The BitSetter should only be checking for a closed circuit.

Usually the issue is a too short endmill --- mount it at the higher position?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks, but I am not sure I understand your reply. After initializing, this is not between tool changes, Bit Setter then asks for a tool to be inserted. When you insert that tool, at that point Bit Setter does not know if the tool is an inch long to ten feet long. The only way it can know the tool length would be for it to them move over the top of Bit Setter, begin a downward movement and at that point it would know if the tool were too long or short. HOWEVER, in my case after I put a new tool in Bit Setter then moved over the silver Bit Setter touch button and STALLS. It never makes an attempt to go down to check tool length and I get a notice that says, "probe failure."

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm

When I was having this same issue, I realized that the gator clip and the puck were touching each other when the machine was doing through the bit setter process. Once I noticed that and made sure they were separated, always, I have never had the problem again.

Hope that helps,

Preacher
~ Preacher

Woodworker - cnc newbie!
Shapeoko XXL