End Mill length > Milling depth? Make deeper cuts?

Talk about all things CNC
typomaniac

End Mill length > Milling depth? Make deeper cuts?

Post by typomaniac » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:03 am

Hey all,

i am still new to cnc and my shapeoko has been running for only two days and i am full of ideas for what to do with it. I own several 1/8" end mills with a maximum length of 12 mm (usable: about 9 to 10 mm). I have not been able to find any longer end mills for 1/8" collets. To my surprise i learned that i cannot simply buy 10 mm thick wood (besides plywood) here in Germany. Most wood seems to start from about 18 mm. Now here is my question: How can i cut through this ;-)?

Thanks a lot,

tm
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: End Mill length > Milling depth? Make deeper cuts?

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Well, one can re-saw the wood using a bandsaw, or handsaw (and then plane and joint them square w/ hand or power tools), or find a lumberyard w/a sawmill to cut things to your desired sizes.

If you used the Shapeoko, you could make a pair of passes along the edge to slice a piece off, but you'd lose a lot of material.

I'd be inclined to view it as a design challenge --- make bowls, or boxes w/ angled or stepped sides.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:16 pm

12mm seems kinda short for the entire length of the endmill. These endmills are very popular for ShapeOko use and have an overall length of 38 mm. Probably need at least 8mm for the collet so that leaves you able to cut wood that is 30mm thick. The maximum cutting depth is about 12mm but you can get around that by cutting in multiple passes which is what you should be doing anyway.

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 am

shame on me! That was pretty stupid. I did not think about the possibility of using an end mill where cutting and shank diameter are the same (1/8"). Thanks a lot!
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)