Cutting board

Talk about all things CNC
DrRob

Cutting board

Post by DrRob » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:59 am

I picked up a cutting board at Tesco last night. I was in a bit of a hurry so just grabbed the cheapest one that wasn't ridiculously thin.

On closer inspection, it has a "22" recycle label on it, and I remembered that HDPE has a "2" recycle label, so I googled 22 and it's paper. Huh?

Ok - the label is paper. :roll: The board itself doesn't have a recycle indication - just the symbol for "dishwasher safe" and "made in India". I'm going to guess it's HDPE and hope for the best.

Still haven't got any mill ends yet. I'm kicking myself now as if I'd ordered some cheap ones from China via Ebay I would probably have them by now.

Rob.

MLange

Re: Cutting board

Post by MLange » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 am

DrRob wrote:On closer inspection, it has a "22" recycle label on it, and I remembered that HDPE has a "2" recycle label, so I googled 22 and it's paper. Huh?
:lol: Oh, recyclable symbols. I can't imagine it'd be much else, though, besides HDPE, could it?
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:18 am

DrRob wrote:Huh?....Ok - the label is paper....
I read this earlier today and literally laughed out loud. To the point that my 3 year old asked "what's funny Daddy? Daddy....Daddy.... what's funny?" until I caught my breath enough to try and explain. Can't really say she 'got' it even after the explanation. But, nonetheless, I did. Great way to start the day. Thanks DrRob!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Burke LaShell

Post by Burke LaShell » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:55 am

Check out my cutting board.
cutting_board.jpg
cutting_board.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
I love how this stuff cuts. It makes light, fluffy snow!!!

nogthree

Post by nogthree » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 am

This has inspired me (that and another member of the local hackerspace suggested these cutting boards) to visit the dollar stores and see how much decent material I can get.
- Brendan Halliday.
ShapeOko Wiki Userpage

DrRob

Post by DrRob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I think my cutting board may be too thin for the spindle mounts. It's only 8mm thick, which doesn't leave a lot of thickness either side of the 5mm holes for the bolts (1.5mm either side, to be precise, if I can drill those holes that precisely). I may have to cut a double set and bolt pairs together to make it thicker.

I guess the g-code file for the spindle mounts assumes a certain width of cutting tool? What size is it?

I installed FreeCAD at the weekend, and that loads the .stp files ok, but it's quite complicated and I haven't worked out yet how to get it to export something that PyCAM can import, to generate a toolpath for the size of cutter I have (3.2mm). Plus FreeCAD crashes an awful lot.

I did however do one quick test-cut across the handle of my cutting board, just 1mm deep. I did it by manually typing g-code into the serial terminal, and forgot to issue a G1 so it cut at seek speed, but it was fine.

It's astonishing how much mess it made just cutting a 1mm deep line of about 15mm length. I'm not sure my household is ready for cutting board "snow" all over the place.

Rob.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 pm

The bit specs are: 1/8" diameter 2 flute end mill (although you can use 1, 2, 3, or 4 flute and it should not negatively effect the finished part.)

You will also notice that by adjusting the feedrate, your 'snow' will change. What you should be aiming for is something that resembles a 'chip' more so than powder. The chips are no less messy, but they look different and will give you an indication if you're going too fast or too slow. Too slow and you'll end up with strings of HDPE and a burning plastic smell. Too fast and you'll likely stall your machine or snap your bit.

For the depth pass, I try to stick with the 50% of the diameter of the cutter rule*. In this case that would be 0.0625" per pass. You can do that at about 60ipm. Or, you can do an 1/8" depth pass at about 30ipm. Six of one, half a dozen of the other :-)
It's astonishing how much mess it made just cutting a 1mm deep line of about 15mm length. I'm not sure my household is ready for cutting board "snow" all over the place.
Having cut so much of that stuff over the last 6 months, I find it everywhere! Clothes, pockets, nose, hair, eyelashes, and stuck to everything in a 15' surrounding area of my machine! I'm not sure what your neighbor situation is like, but if they are close in proximity, they may very well end up with 'snow' too :-)

The stuff is messy! But, it cleans up nicely with a shopvac, so long as you keep the filter in.

-Edward

*as with any rule, this is by no means guaranteed in all situations. But, it's a good starting point if you're beginning to machine a material you have no experience with. If it's a harder material, you will more than likely have to be less aggressive with your depth passes. The opposite for softer materials.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

grep

Post by grep » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:52 am

I didn't now where to put it...

I surfaced some HDPE today (a block i made out of recycled plastic). Here is my setup :

Machine : Shapeoko 3
Router : Dewalt DWP611
Tool : 1/2" router bit for wood.
Feedrate : 1200 for cutting. 300 for Z.
Depth increments : 3mm.
Stepover : 50%.
Router RPM : the lowest setting (=16000rpm).

Video :
https://www.instagram.com/p/_JBlEumoYl/

Final result in attachement.

I wasn't planning using a wood router bit, but since I had no other bit laying around, and I wanted to surface it tonight... That made the job really fast! :geek:
I'm gonna make my dust shoe out of it.
Attachments
1_2_wood_cutter.jpg
1_2_wood_cutter.jpg (472.46 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
hdpe_surfaced.jpg
hdpe_surfaced.jpg (428.86 KiB) Viewed 1248 times