Jogging a machine w/ a Wii Nunchuk?

Talk about all things CNC
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Jogging a machine w/ a Wii Nunchuk?

Post by WillAdams » Mon May 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Is that what this setup allows?

http://powercordlabs.com/114/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

potatotron

Re: Jogging a machine w/ a Wii Nunchuk?

Post by potatotron » Tue May 28, 2013 6:06 am

Well, it shows how to read a Wii nunchuck from an Arduino, but it does it with regular Arduino code controlling servos, not as an extension to grbl controlling stepper motors that most of our machines use.

I'm sure you could glue the nunchuck code into grbl, but it would be a little more involved than just cutting & pasting, so it wouldn't be trivial. Definitely doable, but not trivial.

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:42 am

I did ponder about this for a while, but like you came to the conclusion that instead of reading a Nunchuk or a PS3 controller with the GRBL arduino, it would be best to do the jogging etc with a Universal G-Code Sender program type.
That way you usually have enough USB ports available, and I need the PC anyway.

Else you probably would have to insert an extra Arduino and connect both connect the PS3 controller/Nunchuk and the PC to that one, and then route data to the GRBL Arduino. But you need extra ports on a shield or something to do that.

The easiest thing to do, would probably be to use an old USB keyboard and make a specialized pad with the keys you want, or buy a external numeric keyboard for step jogging. :)
Hmm, maybe a Teensy connected as a keyboard to the PC that sends actual XYZ keypresses to UGCS based on the Nunchuk would be something to research? :)
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 am

Okay. I thought the setup was a little implistic --- would still be cool.

I'm still fascinated by an observation on another forum that a Nintendo 3DS would be able to run a CNC interpreter w/ jogging features.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 pm

WillAdams wrote:Okay. I thought the setup was a little implistic --- would still be cool.

I'm still fascinated by an observation on another forum that a Nintendo 3DS would be able to run a CNC interpreter w/ jogging features.
Are there people working on something like this? I'm also curious about this and made a similar suggestion to the GRBL guys a few months ago when they were considering an arm platform for future development: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/issues/202 ... t-14905979
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Small world, I guess it was your post that I saw.

William