Control board that requires no programing, no soldering

Talk about all things CNC
VT91

Control board that requires no programing, no soldering

Post by VT91 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Hello
I want to buy a cheap ($200 maximum) and popular board that can serve me as a 3D printer and a mill driver, interchangeably.

I don't want to solder, program, reinvent anything.
I want there to be a software on the computer that will work with this board via USB.
I want an easy to use firmware/means to enter dimensions of my machine.
I want this board to support 5 stepper motors and have one or two PWM outputs for heat beds, spindle and other uses I may have.

I want this board to come with 5 matching stepsticks and be ready to use.

Help me find a device like this please.
I just realized that I bought a piece of junk that will require reengineering and I don't want to do this.
I don't want to concern myself with code that is programmed into the microcontroller and interfacing it.
I want a finished product.

Thank you.
--Vladimir.

What is your opinion about this stuff right here:
http://dx.com/p/reprap-ramps-kit-3d-pri ... les-192635
???

Improbable Construct

Re: Control board that requires no programing, no soldering

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 pm

Well, since it is on clearance and the specifications only list the dimensions, I am go out on a limb and say it will not do any of the things you want.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

no_hazmats

Post by no_hazmats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Vladimir,

Are you asking for someone to configure this for you, mate it with an arduino, load firmware, package it? Most people who want a turnkey system go for a makerbot or another ready-made system, at much greater overall expense. Many people on this forum 'could' do what you want, but the parts total would be close to $200 (maybe more), and there would-be several hours of labor involved. (I'm an electrical engineer/consultant, and my rate ranges from $125 - >$200 / hour.) You might try reprap related forums, or go to a local tech school and see if they'd want to do a student project.

What you want could be done for under $200, if someone was already set up to build these, but I don't know anyone doing that,

Shep

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
Shep

ShapeOko S/N SHEP00001

VT91

Post by VT91 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 am

Ok.
So what system should I go with?

Should I buy a more powerful Azteeg or should I go with something much cheaper? There are many devices on the market out there and google is not interested in showing them (they don't pay for products section).
I can program on some level but there is no one to help me here so right choice of electronics and software is important.
I have solidworks and solidcam 2012 but i can go with anything else.
Are there any good solutions to attach limit switches to the machine?

So bad that there are no holes for microswitches on those plates... I don't want to drill them and mess up the 'looks' of the machine.

Thank you.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 pm

The closest thing to a turn key solution would be sticking with the Azteeg CNC board you have and buying a second board designed for 3D printing.

If you get a bunch of these ATX connectors and a crimping tool, then you can easily swap between the boards.

If you drop the USB interface restriction, you might be able to use Mach3 for both 3D printing and CNC routing.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:01 pm

VT91 wrote: So bad that there are no holes for microswitches on those plates... I don't want to drill them and mess up the 'looks' of the machine.
One easy way to not drill holes in the plates is to mount the limit switches to the makerslide. Here's a pre-made solution if you have access to a 3D printer: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42469

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

VT91

Post by VT91 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:07 am

This is wise, but it will decrease range of the machine.
I think that I can play with those parts that stretch the cog belt.
They can be modified to hold limit switches.

WE can play with them because they can be printed on 3D printers to serve two purposes.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:14 pm

We have a list of specialty vendors on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ty_vendors

It would be nice to fill out the parenthetical listings of what each one carries --- it's not always obvious from the names. Are control boards enough of a specialty they'd merit their own section?

Unfortunately, the all-in-one board I have (AtomCNC) was a short-run and isn't being produced --- AIUI, aven an Arduino and shield ``merely'' requires assembly and then downloading Grbl though.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

VT91

Post by VT91 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:36 pm

I am still not sure about what I want.
I bought Azteeg X1 and it cannot run 4 stepper motors.
Apparently the code that is used for it is not capable of using the expansion port.
I cannot modify this code.
What am I supposed to do?
I either need to buy a new board that will be able to run everything or modify Azteeg.
------------------------------------------------
When I install a board, how do I tell the board how big my machine is? Where are those parameters stored?

VT91

Post by VT91 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:25 am

Help me choose, please.
A time sensetive project is waiting.
Do you know any contact information of GRBL developers?
THANK YOU
Vladimir T.

------
Is there firmware that has some sort of dedicated program to set all necessary options on PC and then send this file over to the board? GRBL doesn't have that.

What board should I get???
Last edited by VT91 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.