Excited!!

Talk about all things CNC
kerrycorcoran

Excited!!

Post by kerrycorcoran » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Just ordered my kit; hoping it gets here quickly. Can't wait to start the build!!

Kerry

zerblatt007

Re: Excited!!

Post by zerblatt007 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Congratulations!
It is worth waiting for.. :-D
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:31 pm

My suggestion for your wait is to start planning out projects to do --- a lot of new users get bogged down after assembling the machine when confronted w/ software issues in CAD/CAM.

Download Inkscape, or some other tool which is suitable to the sorts of projects you want to do and start drawing, then start converting files to G-Code and checking them in a simulator / previewer.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

selektha

Post by selektha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Im one of those new users that WillAdams mentioned :) but now I feel rather happy that I can cut simple shapes, now I just have to pick a god CAD,CAM software.

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm

WillAdams wrote:My suggestion for your wait is to start planning out projects to do --- a lot of new users get bogged down after assembling the machine when confronted w/ software issues in CAD/CAM.

Download Inkscape, or some other tool which is suitable to the sorts of projects you want to do and start drawing, then start converting files to G-Code and checking them in a simulator / previewer.

William
William,

I have created a few drawings in Sketchup, exported to DXF. Opened those files in Cambam and created the g-code. I then used Mach 3 to run the g-code. Now in all honesty, it looks like it all works, but not sure how it would go in "real world" ;)

I just read a post that Mach 3 does not work with the stock configuration? Is that correct? Is there a different software, other than Mach 3 I should mess around with?

I understand the workflow (design(CAD), Generate code (CAM), Cut (Mach3), but not sure if those are the best software(s) to use for the Shapeoko.

I am open to suggestions to make the learning curve easiest.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 pm

You're way ahead of the curve then.

Can't really advise on specifics (I've tried to do a brain dump into the wiki) and don't want to unduly influence your choices (and I don't use SketchUp 'cause of the license, and 'sides, it won't run well on my ancient old Pentium III).

I just use GRBL, so am quite mystified by Mach 3 I'm afraid --- there are some codes which affect GRBL oddly --- we need to puzzle out and document those.....

I don't believe there is a ``best'' in a software stack beyond ``meets my needs and works reliably''.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

selektha

Post by selektha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 pm

I started with sketchup but as soon as I tried more advanced shapes I was stoped by the licence that made it impossible to do some simple tricks so I changed to freecad and now I am testing 123d and actual starts to like it but I still have not decided on a good package.

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Tracking indicated the package will arrive tomorrow afternoon!!

Be nice to get it prior to the weekend to get started on the build.

Perez Turner

Post by Perez Turner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:29 am

kerrycorcoran wrote:Tracking indicated the package will arrive tomorrow afternoon!!
The said package has arrived or still in progress? What is the current status of the package?

[Moderator's note: the only purpose of this post was to expose a link in the signature (now removed). It became part of the discussion, so, for clarity, I have not deleted it.]

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 am

Perez Turner wrote:
kerrycorcoran wrote:Tracking indicated the package will arrive tomorrow afternoon!!
The said package has arrived or still in progress? What is the current status of the package?
Have been testing and tweaking all afternoon. Basically built other than refinement and understanding how to use the tool properly.