Milling problems

Talk about all things CNC
calica

Re: Milling problems

Post by calica » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 pm

A lot of the rigidity issues can be solved by reducing depth of cuts and reducing feed speed. (In my experience). My Shapeoko is stock + dual Y. No problem with precision. Just takes a bit of trial and error to get the parameters right. I do plastics, aluminum, and PCBs.

That said, I do on planning most of the upgrades. Starting with double X and alum spacers. I'm not convinced with the benefits of the ACME Z benefit my use cases. Maybe PCBs. I use LinuxCNC so Z isn't limiting my speeds. Oh I do have custom belt holders. Milled from 1/4" alum L. Super rigid and great clamping force. No backlash, perfect circles.

Upgrades are a time vs money tradeoff. Do the upgrades and you can push the machine harder, saving time.

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:30 am

Improbable Construct wrote: I feel it is important to build and run the stock machine.
The shapeoko is a capable machine but many of its design choices were to bring the price down below $300.00.
As such building and upgrading really teach you what you are doing and how everything works.
There is a lot of trial and error, but in the end what you gain in knowledge cant be bought.
I love this. I originally decided to put together the machine when I had some extra money and didn't have any real tools. Literately Shapeoko is it, only hand tools. I wanted something that I could use to broad my skills and hopefully make custom things for the home, eventually start a business. It was computer controllable and I know computers is what I was thinking....

KNOWLEDGE is something that I've learned a lot of so far in this project. I know I've got quite a ways to go, but everyone on this forum is very helpful on getting me one step further. When I started I had no idea about how things were manufactured. That includes reversing xyz axis's when originally putting the machine together. Now I know relative information in 2D subtraction manufacturing to be able to make semi-quality items at home.

With that being said, Improbable the result was the same. . . Since I don't have a drill press, do you have a good method making accurate drill holes to match the holes on the makerslide?

I'm guessing kbot35(not sure on the name) would be happy with selling me some makerslide join clips. I really kind of wanted to wait with the double X until the plates come out as I was thinking a 1000x1000mm expansion. If single can't support the stock X, would a person need to go triple X, and double Y when expanding to 1000? (If they want to cut aluminum reliably)
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:58 am

atrueresistance wrote:Since I don't have a drill press, do you have a good method making accurate drill holes to match the holes on the makerslide?
Basic metal-working techniques.

I did this w/ basic hand tools:

- clamp the 2 end plates so that they're parallel and off-set by the thickness of a bar of MakerSlide
- use a spring-loaded punch to place a dimple at the center of each desired hole
- clamp the assembly firmly
- use a hand drill to drill the holes working slowly and carefully so as not to enlarge the existing holes
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 am

You could use the shapeOko to make a template and use it a drilling guide. Make sure you can clamp it in a couple of places so it does not move when you drill.
If single can't support the stock X, would a person need to go triple X, and double Y when expanding to 1000? (If they want to cut aluminum reliably)
I think double X would be fine. But I think you would want to go all metal for wheels, spacers and spindle mounting for the carriage.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

jkanzaki

Post by jkanzaki » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 pm

bjbsquared wrote:You could use the shapeOko to make a template and use it a drilling guide. Make sure you can clamp it in a couple of places so it does not move when you drill.
If single can't support the stock X, would a person need to go triple X, and double Y when expanding to 1000? (If they want to cut aluminum reliably)
I think double X would be fine. But I think you would want to go all metal for wheels, spacers and spindle mounting for the carriage.

I thought the Y axis doesn't require any metal wheel because it's not load bearing.
Only the x and z axis require metal wheel.
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 am

Only the x and z axis require metal wheel.
Yes, that’s what I tried to say.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

jkanzaki

Post by jkanzaki » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:16 am

Miss read your post, my bad.
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:17 am

I could have been more clear. An obvious lack off coffee on my part. :D