Shapeoko 2

Talk about all things CNC
Gadgetman!

Re: Shapeoko 2

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 am

I think it's a combination of reasons.

It takes time to get the new parts manufactured. And if you want them faster, you have to pay more. So you try to estimate when you're about to run out of old kits and schedule the new kit parts to arrive about then.
Inventory is expensive. And we know that old versions won't sell as well as new versions, so they'll have to discount them. That's a loss Inventables probably doesn't want to take. (They'd have to recoup their losses somehow, and the usual way to do that is to have higher prices)

Some of the parts can also be bought separately, which means that they can run out of those. As Inventables isn't a large business that can afford keeping a large inventory, I doubt that they keep many complete ShapeOko kits on their shelves.

My guess is that the old kits(or unique parts for the old kits, at least) sold out a bit quicker than expected, and that they posted the news about the new version to show that 'something is happening', and that they're nervously waiting for parts to arrive.
They probably also won't list the new version if they only have parts enough for ONE kit.
(It would make more sense to wait until they have at least a dozen or two, to cover initial demand.)

Logistics can be a bit of a pain when you have something as advanced as these kits...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:24 am

From first-hand experience, I can say that logistics are a pain greater that I would have imagined (and I have a reasonably good imagination). Good process and good software can help, but they take time and/or money upfront.

I'm sure Inventables did not want to sell both versions at the same time, but that they intended to have a seamless transition, so they tried to time it that way. Sometimes SNAFUs can happen and can add weeks to the delivery dates (remember end plates and motor plates); the more parts and more suppliers, the more likely. Also, there may have been an unexpected increase in sales just as the batch of old kits was running out, so the gap increased even more.

If Inventables don't pack the kits themselves (they say on their site that they don't make any of their products -- and I think packing a Shapeoko kit out of individual parts qualifies as making it), they would have to have the parts delivered to two places (kit packers and themselves), or they'd have to take kits apart (and basically throw away the money they paid to get them packed in the first place). Also: inventory; warehouse shelf space; and labour-intensive orders with many inexpensive little bits.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:18 am

cvoinescu wrote:If Inventables don't pack the kits themselves (they say on their site that they don't make any of their products -- and I think packing a Shapeoko kit out of individual parts qualifies as making it)
Last I heard, Inventables was doing the packaging for the kits:

http://blog.inventables.com/2012/06/sha ... pdate.html

Given their ads for hiring they seem to be continuing.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 am

That was literally more than 1000 kits ago, and the reference to "our factory" could very well mean a subcontractor's.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

michaeluna

Post by michaeluna » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Michael and I'm working on the Shapeoko v2 release at Inventables. We're getting really close and I wanted to drop in here and answer any questions you all might have. Fire away!
Owner of ShapeOko #3.

northbear

Post by northbear » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 pm

I thought there already was a shapeoko V2 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardford ... 629176276/

Yes, yes, I am aware this is a pre-kickstarter version of the shapeoko!
This link above shows version v0.1b?? according to http://www.shapeoko.com/about
My buildlog is here

regressedEE

Post by regressedEE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:32 am

@michaeluna: A logical first question would be whether there will be an upgrade package/kit for Shapeoko 1 owners, or at least whether individual upgrade parts will be available.

NormanF

Post by NormanF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm

regressedEE wrote:@michaeluna: A logical first question would be whether there will be an upgrade package/kit for Shapeoko 1 owners, or at least whether individual upgrade parts will be available.
The individual parts are, or were, available. I ordered the upgrade end plates and two motor mounts. I believe the only thing else would be the extrusions for the front and rear base. As far as I can tell from the picture those are the only changes to V2.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 pm

There seems to be changes to the Z-axis, too.

But the question that everyone need to ask themselves is 'do I need the upgrade parts?'
Not all the changes really matters to everyone.

Unless you want a longer X-axis, or want to work on media that's longer than fits inside the stock ShapeOko, you probably don't need the open endplates.
(you can also fit longer media if you replace the Makerslides on the Y-axis with longer ones.)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

michaeluna

Post by michaeluna » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 pm

@northbear: If we go by that numbering system, I think we're in the mid-20's now…

@regressedEE, NormanF, and Gadgetman!:

If you want to upgrade your y-axis length, add the dual drive, and open up the bed for longer stock, you can do so using the new motor mount plates, new end plates, longer makerslide, longer belts, and the extrusion for the frame. Plus all the hardware bits to hold it together.
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... otor-mount
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... -end-plate
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/makerslide
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... open-ended
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... 20mm-black

To upgrade the x-axis becomes a bit trickier, as the makerslide is doubled up. So you have to replace most of the parts in the z-axis as well, and by the time you're done with that you'll have just about enough parts leftover to build a shapeoko v1. And since you're buying all the parts individually, you'll end up paying more than just getting the shapeoko v2 full kit when it's released. The business end of that has to do with saved labor costs when assembling a full kit all at once, versus picking each individual component off the shelf and packaging it ad hoc, both in our own warehouse and that of our kit assembler, component suppliers, and etc. Plus a host of other factors that make it worthwhile for us to offer whole kits and more difficult to manage inventories of hundreds of individual parts.

So we're recommending that if you want to go that route, please be patient and check out the v2 kit when it's released (soon).

I can tell you that the new v2 belt management design reduces cruft getting in the belt teeth, it's really easy to expand all the axes, and the z-axis makes it a lot easier to change bits and gives more clearance to the material surface.
Owner of ShapeOko #3.