Shapeoko 2

Talk about all things CNC
atrueresistance

Shapeoko 2

Post by atrueresistance » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Noticing on inventables if you navigate to CNC mills, shapeoko is no longer listed, I did some searching.

Found and interesting link on inventables. https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... shapeoko-2
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

knoll93

Re: Shapeoko 2

Post by knoll93 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:12 am

Looks like I may be happy I did not have enough money last week to buy one. Hopefully it is available before the money mysteriously disapears again.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 am

Don't think you won all that much on waiting.

There's some 20x20 profiles on the bottom, it's using the open endplates, and there may be a design change on the Z-axis, but other than that, it looks pretty much as before.

The 20x20 looks more 'fancy' than actuall doing much to the design, to me, I don't know.
Maybe they're needed for proper rigidity when using the open endplates?
(They kind of defeats the idea of the open endplates; that you could work on 'oversize' materials)

I'm mostly interested in the Z-axis. To see it and possibly get upgrade parts for my own ShapeOko later.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am

Gadgetman! wrote:The 20x20 looks more 'fancy' than actuall doing much to the design, to me, I don't know.
Maybe they're needed for proper rigidity when using the open endplates?
They are actually 40x20 and are used for rigidity. It allows to always have the Y makerslide parrallels, and prevent them from moving.
Gadgetman! wrote:(They kind of defeats the idea of the open endplates; that you could work on 'oversize' materials)
I strongly disagree with that. I actually have my milling area board (can't remember the english name of the board) on top of them and I can mill oversized material. It also allows me to attach the milling board to the structure of the machine.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:58 pm

The extrusion is the simplest way to ensure that the end plates are connected together. With them, the frame is rigid. Without them, people would be tempted to run the machine using the end plates as "feet", without good lateral support. Using or carrying the machine like that can destroy the Y V-wheels.

My plan (when I eventually get around to it) is to have a slab of 18 mm MDF between the two 20x40 pieces, with tee nuts in it, and a thin (3-6 mm) spoilboard on top, with holes corresponding to the tee nuts. That way, the top of the bed is just above the extrusion, and if it gets too "groovy", I can replace just the thin top sheet, and leave the tee nuts in place.

Keep in mind that there's nothing that says that that's the actual Shapeoko 2; it may be just a stand-in image.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Keep in mind that there's nothing that says that that's the actual Shapeoko 2; it may be just a stand-in image.
I was wondering about that. In particular, it has the current Z-axis configuration as best as I can make out, and that's one part of the machine which could use some real improvement / simplification --- I'd still like to see a motor w/ integrated Acme rod used there.

Hmm, it also still has the standard Makerslide carriage plate, and the belts aren't inverted....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 pm

That's exactly why I think it's not the actual machine. Edward's posts have shown more advanced stuff.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

monkey123

Post by monkey123 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:19 am

Does anybody have any idea when the Shapeoko kits will be available to purchase again? I was planning on buying next week and now version 1 and 2 are listed as out of stock.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:14 pm

monkey123 wrote:Does anybody have any idea when the Shapeoko kits will be available to purchase again? I was planning on buying next week and now version 1 and 2 are listed as out of stock.
Yeah, I'm wondering this myself. I just found out about Shapeoko the other day and I was very excited to pick one up, only to find they're not available for sale and no indication of when they will be again. :(

monkey123

Post by monkey123 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Cannikin wrote:
monkey123 wrote:Does anybody have any idea when the Shapeoko kits will be available to purchase again? I was planning on buying next week and now version 1 and 2 are listed as out of stock.
Yeah, I'm wondering this myself. I just found out about Shapeoko the other day and I was very excited to pick one up, only to find they're not available for sale and no indication of when they will be again. :(
I was told 4-8 weeks for the kits. But the new plates are available now, so I sourced all the parts myself to not wait so long.