I found an excellent and inexpensive V bit

Talk about all things CNC
ALuomala

Re: I found an excellent and inexpensive V bit

Post by ALuomala » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:36 am

Can anyone comment on the longevity of these bits (the replacement blades, that is).

I have been contemplating buying a complete CNC signmaking set by Amana, either the 8 piece set (here) or the 18 piece set (here). The 8 piece set is more palatable (from a hobbyist perspective), but I really am lusting over the 18 piece set (over $500!!!).

I have spent entirely too much time looking for "standard" router bits to do my CNC work, and I am very tempted to pull the trigger on one of these sets (the 18 piece set would be my Xmas present... and next 3 Father's Day and birthday presents ;) ).
I bought a specialty 60 degree v-bit from Lee Valley (here) that was $45, and as nice as it cut, somehow I managed to knock about 2 mm off of the tip, so that is $45 down the toilet. I know I can buy cheaper (i.e Chinese made) bits online, but I would prefer something that does the job for a decent price and won't let me down when I need it most.

One of the bits that may prove to be of value to most people is this one: In-Groove™ Insert Engraving System Sets.

On a related note, does anyone know of Canadian sellers of the Amana line? I saw that Richelieu carries them, but I think they don't have a normal storefront (distributor only). I am a little afraid to see what the final cost (after exchange, duty, shipping, etc) would be if I ordered it direct.
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:08 am

For the money ~$4 a replacement insert they are great. I used one corner today to cut about 20 signs. The signs are cut in cypress and the letters are 3" inches tall and vary in length from 8-20 letters plus a simple logo. I use this bit exclusively for all my 90 degree v cuts and love it. I still reccoment it highly!
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 am

Is it difficult to align the blade in the bit? I'm worried that if the point is not in the center it won't cut well.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 am

Improbable Construct wrote: Most people probably wouldn't notice if they didn't know what to look for but it bugged me.
Ugh, so many things I have remade because of that. But the error rate is going down and that's all I can ask for.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:47 pm

On mine, the insert wants to sit in the correct position. I put it in with the screw loose. I then wiggle it around a little and the insert settles into place. Then I slowly tighten the set screw. The key I have found is to not force the insert too far over to the cutting side.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:16 pm

I just ordered one and 4 extra inserts. Thanks for the info.

TomO

Post by TomO » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for the review. I may order this bit also: http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5785-insert ... r-bit.aspx

Both use the same replacement blades. Anyone have experience with this surfacing bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:34 am

I bought one too, and an extra blade. Thanks for the suggestion!
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC