please help! joining two makerslides together?

Talk about all things CNC
trnr

please help! joining two makerslides together?

Post by trnr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:39 am

hi

i have been searching and searching the interweb to figure out how to increase my shapeoko 2(when i get it) axis' to 1500mmx1500mm. as I'm in Australia i can't by these lengths through inventables. i looked at getting open rail but i can't find a place that has it in stock. so my next thought was what if i bought 2x1000mm lengths and joined them together(with bolts an a plate of sort) then cut it down to my required size. what does every one else think?

trnr

cvoinescu

Re: please help! joining two makerslides together?

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 am

There has been talk about this on the forum here, but I don't remember seeing a report of a successful result. In principle, it should work.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Butting 2 sections together may not be that great; you will end up with some issue at the joint. For cutting at the sub-hundredth level, it will show up in your cuts.

I need to order some open rail but am waiting until the hardened version becomes available again. I have concerns about it's squareness across the entire length. Besides rigidity, this is a failure area I've seen on cuts done with homemade routers. You end up with long period waves across the length of the cut because the linear rails have waves in them. This is amplified by butt joints, and sloppy v-wheels.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

trnr

Post by trnr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am

thanks for the responses.

do you know if there is an eta on the open rail and where do you get it from because all websites I've looked at are out of all stock.

is there any other options to increase the dimensions?

trnr

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Hardened openrail doesn't look like a future option; I'm evaluating larger machines right now-holding makerslide in my hand makes me fairly reluctant to use that for a larger machine than the Shapeoko 2, bottom line is cold rolled steel.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 am

trnr wrote:hi

i have been searching and searching the interweb to figure out how to increase my shapeoko 2(when i get it) axis' to 1500mmx1500mm. as I'm in Australia i can't by these lengths through inventables. i looked at getting open rail but i can't find a place that has it in stock. so my next thought was what if i bought 2x1000mm lengths and joined them together(with bolts an a plate of sort) then cut it down to my required size. what does every one else think?

trnr
I'm in the same situation with my Shapeoko 1. I've ordered a bunch of extra 1m lengths of Makerslide from Inventables which should be here tomorrow according to the tracking. The plan is to cut one of the 1m sections in half and join it to one of the other 1m sections. I've got a few various thoughts on how to accomplish this while keeping it straight/smooth enough to still be accurate so I'll let you know how it all goes.

Couple of other options for you though, Inventables will ship the 1.8m sections to Australia, only problem is that when I checked on the costs it was going to be around US$150 to ship 2 lengths to Australia. The other option is to get in contact with the person whos just started running a new Indiegogo campain to get more makerslide produced in Australia, they may be able to help you with longer lengths but going by their timeline they do not plan to have it shipping until around March. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/more- ... -the-world