shapeoko from myhobby-cnc.de

Talk about all things CNC
rincewind

Re: shapeoko from myhobby-cnc.de

Post by rincewind » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:02 pm

AlBorland wrote:Just out of curiosity, and only about legal use, not about ethics:
cvoinescu wrote:In other words, you can't call your machine a Shapeoko unless Edward says you can. Naming the derivatives is a tough problem and I don't have an easy solution for it.
It is my understanding that only a registered trademark preserves a name, and I wanted to ask if there is another kind of protection for names.
The point is moot now, because when searching for trademark Shapeoko just now, I found that Carbide-3D LLC has applied for a trademark on Nov 19, 2014. So yes, when the registration is confirmed, they can disallow the use of the name Shapeoko, but probably not outside of the US, not for anything besides the registered commercial sectors, and I'm not sure about prior use before the application date (it's been a few years since I had to deal with this for my own trademarks).
I think you are right. They might not even grant the trademark if there are more shapeokos out there.
Shapeoko 3 #0166 w/Kress 1050 Spindle
Prusa i3 Mk3

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 pm

AlBorland, I think you're correct (it's not something I know a lot about).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Anyone who wants to research this sort of thing should look up "trade dress".

Registration affords better legal standing, but isn't strictly required.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)