Makerslide - is it really so special?

Talk about all things CNC
jahn

Post by jahn » Thu May 24, 2012 6:34 am

Shapeoko uses Makerslide profile but can anyone explain what is so special with that Makerslide.
There are more kinds of similar profiles like Makerslide.Or is there anything that they all miss in comparrison with Makerslide?
Thanks

alpha

Re: Makerslide - is it really so special?

Post by alpha » Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

jahn wrote:Shapeoko uses Makerslide profile but can anyone explain what is so special with that Makerslide.
There are more kinds of similar profiles like Makerslide.Or is there anything that they all miss in comparrison with Makerslide?
Thanks
I think Makerslide design is special because it works, is inexpensive, it's open source and the person (Bart Dring from buildlog.net) behind it deserved my support (well I guess my $1 dollar pledge was kind of pathetic) and because of his other cool builds (plus open source documentation) he did.
For more history have a look here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/938 ... m?ref=live

As you may know ShapeOko had a Kickstarter phase too: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/edw ... e?ref=live
As far as I know - when Edward started this project on Kickstarter he didn't finalize on the linear bearing system... I think he has three systems in mind and I guess because being another open source project it was a natural decision to use Makerslide after a successful test...

jahn

Post by jahn » Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Markus,
also my thanks to Bart Dring that he made MakerSlide as open.
But there are more AL profiles and they are also used in various equipment/devices and also works.
Not sure what you exactly mean by inexpensive. IMHO,the price sold by Inventables for example can hardly be considered as inexpensive particularly, if you read again what Bart Dring said about the price ( see http://www.kickstarter.com).
So, was Open hardware the only reason that was Makerslide chosen for the Shapeoko then?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu May 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Makerslide was chosen for the Shapeoko because of 3 main reasons:

1.) Price: It's cheap compared to other linear bearing solutions, especially when you consider it's structural properties (see #2)
2.) Structural nature: Notice the shapeoko is mostly makerslide? Because of it's rigidity (up to about 3ft), there was no need to implement side walls, or a backing plate on the X-axis. Or any support for that matter. All it needs is some mounting.
3.) Scaling: Want a bigger Shapeoko? Get a longer piece of makerslide! Because it's structural (see #2), there is no supporting hardware to scale as well. Most of the fixed costs are on the wheels/bearings/spacers, so to up-size your machine doesn't require anything more than longer makerslide.

Being open hardware was a bonus. I claimed the Shapeoko would be an open hardware project, but that doesn't mean everything on it needs to be open hardware.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

alpha

Post by alpha » Thu May 24, 2012 7:43 pm

jahn wrote:...Not sure what you exactly mean by inexpensive. IMHO,the price sold by Inventables for example can hardly be considered as inexpensive particularly, if you read again what Bart Dring said about the price ...
Yes the $10 per meter sounded inexpensive, but to be honest I don't have a clue. I hope Inventables pay there employees a good salary with benefits? At least this would make up for the prices...

I don't remember if this system is cheaper, but I also did see that a Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ajq ... ing-blocks

What other AL systems do you know?

Which are less expensive and have the same features?

How would you build a CNC machine less expensive with the same feature set?

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 pm

alpha wrote:
jahn wrote:...Not sure what you exactly mean by inexpensive. IMHO,the price sold by Inventables for example can hardly be considered as inexpensive particularly, if you read again what Bart Dring said about the price ...
Yes the $10 per meter sounded inexpensive, but to be honest I don't have a clue. I hope Inventables pay there employees a good salary with benefits? At least this would make up for the prices...

I don't remember if this system is cheaper, but I also did see that a Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ajq ... ing-blocks

What other AL systems do you know?

Which are less expensive and have the same features?

How would you build a CNC machine less expensive with the same feature set?
Look up how much 80/20 extrusion is on Amazon, it works out to around $10.60 / meter. I'd say that being the same price as AL extrusion without the linear bearing part makes the Makerslide a pretty good deal. Even if it was a little more than regular extrusion, $10 / meter for any linear bearing system is a steal, especially considering that the Inventables run would be considered low quantity compared to other extrusions.
shapeoko #0057

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Fri May 25, 2012 2:23 am

on the open source thought, you also have to commend Bart Dring for doing a Kickstarter campaign and selling it himself, and then getting Inventables to sell it, rather than simply selling his idea directly to Misumi or 80/20, where they would most likely jack up the price and make it unaffordable for the average person.

northbear

Post by northbear » Fri May 25, 2012 3:05 am

edwardrford wrote:
3.) Scaling: Want a bigger Shapeoko? Get a longer piece of makerslide! Because it's structural (see #2), there is no supporting hardware to scale as well. Most of the fixed costs are on the wheels/bearings/spacers, so to up-size your machine doesn't require anything more than longer makerslide.
I am curious to see how far people will be able to scale this without loosing rigidity or breaking something. When I (eventually) get started with CNC I am thinking a good target size would be a 11x17 using a rotozip or trim router (approx 3.5 lbs 6 Amp -- Similar to what Edward has shown here http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=20#p1459)

From that thread it looks like CptanPanic is looking at scaling up so maybe he will have some input once it is done.
My buildlog is here

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Fri May 25, 2012 3:46 am

I am going to scale up once I get standard one to work. I am thinking 1m square. I will also see about doing some structural analysis in Inventor once I get the inventor models from Edward.

jahn

Post by jahn » Fri May 25, 2012 7:06 am

Look at the picture I enclosed. Seems to use STANDARD AL profiles( so even cheaper than MakerSlide) , yet also structural. What do you think about that design? I found that at YouTube
Attachments
SMT.jpg
SMT.jpg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 2163 times