Screwing into and fastening acrylic dust shoe

Talk about all things CNC
stephenjbell

Screwing into and fastening acrylic dust shoe

Post by stephenjbell » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:12 am

I decided that I would make a DW660 dust shoe myself out of acrylic, using the plans provided here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Dust_Shoe It took some trial and error, but my pieces turned out great!

Now that I've finally got the pieces cut out of the acrylic, I realize that I'm in over my head when it comes to fastening the pieces together. I know that IC just drills into it and taps it (http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ounted.jpg), but I'm a little bit worried about the specifics of that process when it was such an ordeal to make the pieces in the first place. I'm nervous about cracking the acrylic or not drilling straight holes.

So...
1. Can I just drill the holes with a hand drill? I don't have any way of standing my pieces up to drill from the end with the Shapeoko.
2. Can I use a 11/64" or 3/16" drill bit to approximate the 4.5mm hole that would need to be drilled for an M5 tap?
3. Would the makerslide M5 tap that came with the Shapeoko 2 work for acrylic, or would I have to buy a new tap?
4. Is there an easier way of fastening the two pieces of acrylic end-to-end so that I don't need to deal with drilling from the ends of the pieces?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Screwing into and fastening acrylic dust shoe

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:05 pm

stephenjbell wrote: 1. Can I just drill the holes with a hand drill? I don't have any way of standing my pieces up to drill from the end with the Shapeoko.
I don't see why not --- it's what I'd do (did on the mount described below).
2. Can I use a 11/64" or 3/16" drill bit to approximate the 4.5mm hole that would need to be drilled for an M5 tap?
All the tap-and-die charts I'm familiar w/ suggest a 4.2mm hole, which would be 0.165354 inches which would be very close to a #19 drill --- the 11/64 is 0.171875 which is too large --- use a smaller bit --- 5/32 would be 0.1562 and w/ the wobble of hand drilling should result in a reasonably good finished size.
3. Would the makerslide M5 tap that came with the Shapeoko 2 work for acrylic, or would I have to buy a new tap?
Should work fine.
4. Is there an easier way of fastening the two pieces of acrylic end-to-end so that I don't need to deal with drilling from the ends of the pieces?
I tried very hard to avoid the need to do that sort of post-processing when I designed the mounts I'm using for my Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 797#p18386 --- maybe you could buy a screw clamp around it as I'm doing for my dust shoe? With some pins to hold things in alignmentit should be fine.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

stephenjbell

Re: Screwing into and fastening acrylic dust shoe

Post by stephenjbell » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:31 am

Thanks Will! Everything turned out well using your recommended hole size, and I managed to drill and tap straight enough that my pieces should be usable.