upgrade shapeoko with 3D printer head?

Talk about all things CNC
KzE

upgrade shapeoko with 3D printer head?

Post by KzE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi Forum,

please refere me to the topic if this has already been done.

Coudn't one just attach a 3D printer's head to the shapeoko 2
and let it run. Or even use the printers software on the shapeoko?

combine shapeoko with printrbot.com just as an example.
That could combine affordable 3D printer with the shapeokos size.

bobt

Re: upgrade shapeoko with 3D printer head?

Post by bobt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Sorry but you need new Stepper Motor driver board. With adding an extruder you do not have a stepper motor driver for it. You might want to look at a RAMPS 1.4 board as it will support a total of 5 stepper motor drivers. For the ShapeOko you need 3 stepper drivers plus 1 for the extruder. Also you might want to look at the Marlin software for the Arduino as it supports the extruder enviroment and the currently loaded GRBL software on the currently shipping Arduino does not. I am currently in the process of doing just what you are asking about and these are the basic items I ran into.

Bob
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah, it's a shame there isn't a spare stepper. I'm planning on doing the same thing myself:

- using an AtomCNC which has sockets for 4 steppers on my v1 --- figure I'll pick up a spare stepper driver and swap w/ the Arduino on my v2 --- planning on re-flashing w/ Teacup
- picked up an extruder assembly from Kbot3D a while back, but it needs a certain size of motor ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4P382G )
- also need a hot end ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOESJC4 )
- and I'll need some sort of bed to print on
- and I'll need to rig up some sort of dispenser for the filament

anything I'm forgetting?

As w/ all things, it's a tradeoff:

- lack of an enclosure makes temperature control an issue
- lack of Z-height limits model size

Hoping to shake loose funds to do this after I get my current book re-printing venture going.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

I added an MBE Extruder last summer to my Shapeoko. Now it doubles as a 3D printer.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:09 pm

I used my eShapeoko as a 3D printer a lot. I used the J-Head hot end (from hotends.com) and a Greg's Wade Reloaded cold end that I bought on eBay as a kit. They worked perfectly from the first try, and I had no problems at all. For electronics, I built my own following the RAMPS 1.4 schematic, more or less. I used Marlin as the firmware, Pronterface as host software, and Skeinforge as the slicer.

The Shapeoko is quite fast as a 3D printer if tuned a little. The only disadvantage that I can think of is that it's noisy, for a 3D printer. To get the best speed, because of all the mass you need to move, you have to run the motors near their rated current, and they become quite loud. A traditional 3D printer (say, and ORD Bot), which does not move the motors or the gantry in the XY plane, needs less current and runs quieter. The wide but shallow build volume is a mixed blessing. Practically all my printing was PLA, so I did not need a heated bed, but I can see that being a problem at the larger sizes.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk