Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Talk about all things CNC

What is your favorite ShapeOko spindle option?

Rotary Tool - generic (specify)
4%
Rotary Tool - brand-name, e.g. Dremel 200 or 4000 (specify)
7%
Cut-out Tool - e.g., Dewalt DW660 (specify)
19%
Compact Router - e.g., Dewalt DWP611 (specify)
23%
Trim Router (specify)
10%
Carving Tool (specify)
1%
DC Spindle (specify)
26%
Palm Router - e.g., Bosch Colt (specify)
3%
Mini Spindle (specify)
6%

Total votes: 124

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:36 am

Brian wrote: After I took some measurements on accuracy it was less than desirable. Going to slow it down when i get a dust shoe to keep the shop clean of alum chips. I love the HF spindle though.
Have you tried measuring the runout? Or done a sample cut and miked that?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 am

Took the spindle off yesterday to add some new belt anchors.. The old setup didn't result in very tight belts, going to check runout when the spindles back on. It appears to be losing x steps, I'd assume because the x has half the power the y does. I'll prob slow it down regardless of what happens to ensure a clean cut. I did notice some flat spots on the circular pockets I cut that I'm pretty sure was the belt not being tight enough.

Hopefully this week I'll have time to cut a new table out of a slab of alum at work, prob thread it 1/4-20 to replace this MDF table so I can really Start having some fun.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control

Little Hands

Post by Little Hands » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Forget about it! I Run the Bosch Colt with an Inventables mount. Upgraded the Z & X axis to the Nema 23's. Custom Z-axis motor mount ....Etc.... This machine runs like an ape. Did find 1/8" collets for the "colt" at http://elairecorp.com
Attachments
cnc 1.jpg
cnc 1.jpg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
cnc03.jpg
cnc03.jpg (102.26 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
cnc02.jpg
cnc02.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
Last edited by Little Hands on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:56 pm

I know everyone gets excited about the Bosch Colt, but please watch one's language / sexual references --- we need for this to be a family friendly site.

We've tried to get all the spindles documented here:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options

which does have the Precise Bits collet link I think you're asking after? http://www.precisebits.com/products/equ ... !!Kit!!!PG!!!

(It didn't have the Inventables mount, so I've added that, thanks).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

xwass

Post by xwass » Mon May 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Strategy 4.0amp spin saw
(pic/description in link, no longer sold there though)
http://www.qvc.com/.product.V17279.html

Found this in my basement unused and has worked great as a spindle so far. Only been running it for a few weeks so I can't speak to its longevity.
Runs up to 30,000 RPM 4amp comes with 1/4 and 1/8 collet. Easy to mount with the hardware that came in the box for the most part. No variable speed control though.

A huge improvement over the stock rotary tool that came with the SO2.

I have seen some on ebay go for 20-30 bucks unused. If you can find one definitely a good cheap solution.

mmorlan62

Post by mmorlan62 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:25 am

I went with a Bosch Colt with PreciseBits collet system for my first time out. I haven't tested the run-out yet but am pretty pleased with the results so far.
Shapeoko 2 + Bosch Colt mount . PreciseBits ER20 1/8" & 1/4" collets . stock electronics in a custom control box.

Chrisprols

Post by Chrisprols » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:52 pm

Bosch Colt.
Very happy with it's power ... plus I bought the additionnal collets to be able to use 1/8", 1/4" and 8mm milling bits.
Shapeoko 2 #4852 with Bosch Colt

Stephmon

Post by Stephmon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Bosch Colt
I made my own HDPE mounts (with dust tube retainers on one side and holes for 1/4-20 rod on the other) and dust shoe (two piece, with neodymium magnets out of old Sonicare brushes and a craft foam skirt).

One drawback of the two part mount, is that the Z assembly height (or my wasteboard thickness) has to be adjusted, for some material thicknesses, when using the 1/8" bits, which don't have a lot of reach, to make up for the fact that the Bosch is a bit 'stubby' compared to other solutions.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. The runout has not been an issue (I've read that the runout issues were hit-or-miss, so I guess mine is a 'hit', though I've yet to precisely measure it) even with the Amana Reduction Bushing (which looks much cheaper on Amazon, than in person. It's actually, a nice bit of stainless steel).

I do have to say, a big part of my satisfaction is also largely due to upgrading away from the stock and 'starter kit' mill bits. I bought a few pieces on Amazon and the difference is night and day. The tips are sharp to the touch, the cuts are almost silent (compared to whining, chattering) and they throw off chips, instead of 'snow' when working in HDPE. IMHO, the whole system went from 'hobbyist toy', to 'serious tool', with this upgrade. The first revision of my HDPE mounts, cut with a brand-name Dremel and the stock bit compared to the second rev is a quantum step up in quality. Another nice perk: My dust collection system is now the dominant sound in the shop, even when cutting hard maple.

Staryder

Post by Staryder » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:I started off with a dremel knock off that worked for a while but its life ended in a spectacular display of sparks and fire.

After that I moved on to a DW660. I liked it alot. It was cheap, light, and came with 1/4" and 1/8" collets.
It can be used with a mostly stock machine and has way more power than a Dremel.
I am going to guess I put 4-5 hundred hours on mine, maybe more. It now sounds like a bearing is going bad and the runout became problematic.

So when I upgraded to steel wheels and OpenRail I stepped up to a DWP611. Its a great spindle but it has some drawbacks.
The biggest drawback is the lack of a 1/8" collet from the factory. Precise Bits makes precision collets for the DWP611 but they are almost 100 bucks for the set. The DWP611 is also expensive just by itself at about $130.00.

Unless you are really going to go gung ho and build a machine capable of handling the power of the DWP611, the DW660 is probably the best spindle for the money.
I found my 1/8" collet for my DWP611 here..... http://www.elairecorp.com/dewaltroutercollets.html
Fairly inexpensive and works great.....

Polymorph

Post by Polymorph » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Our makerspace, OlyMEGA, has installed a Harbor Freight flexshaft carver into our Shapeoko 2.

http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-s ... 40432.html

They seemed to have problems with the handpieces getting hot, but I've not seen recent complaints. It apparently was due to the grease used being too stiff, possibly dirty. People reported cleaning them out with solvents and reoiling them.