Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Talk about all things CNC

What is your favorite ShapeOko spindle option?

Rotary Tool - generic (specify)
4%
Rotary Tool - brand-name, e.g. Dremel 200 or 4000 (specify)
7%
Cut-out Tool - e.g., Dewalt DW660 (specify)
19%
Compact Router - e.g., Dewalt DWP611 (specify)
23%
Trim Router (specify)
10%
Carving Tool (specify)
1%
DC Spindle (specify)
26%
Palm Router - e.g., Bosch Colt (specify)
3%
Mini Spindle (specify)
6%

Total votes: 124

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

I hope gazorp doesn't mind --- I edited his post to make it a poll and filled in all the options I could think of from the: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options page.

I'm currently using a Dremel 4000 and have been quite pleased w/ it --- I suspect the ~1/3 more power it affords over the typical rotary tools (1.6 amps instead of 1.15 or 1.2) makes a big difference.

I am still kind of mystified by the differing characterizations of the Dewalt DWP-611 and Bosch Colt PR20 --- is there really that big a difference in their capabilities? Is there a real difference in categorization between ``compact router'' and ``palm router''? I'd think the DWP611 would be a big winner since it's rated at 7 amps as opposed to the PR20's 5.6 --- perhaps the difference in r.p.m. affects this? (27,000 as opposed to 35,000).

Looking forward to lots of votes here, as well as posts spelling out everyone's choices and their perceptions of them, as well as some hard numbers.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:14 pm

I love my Kress 800 (more powerfull than the generic Dremel option)
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Dremel XPR 400 - This is an older dremel tool and worked great. It bogged down when feeds were too high and occasionally the collet would slip with catastrophic results (to the work material), but with a slow enough feed rate it was able to make passable cuts in aluminum. It started running erratically and was causing GRBL to reset, so I had to replace it.

DW660 - The price was close enough to the dremel that I decided to upgrade when looking for a new spindle. The combination of extra power and significantly lower runout makes it cut everything so much nicer. Before I could hardly use 1mm bits, without the perfect settings the tip would quickly snap off, now I can use them for hours (literally, I ran an engraving job last night with a 1mm bit that ran for over 4 hours). Soft materials like plastics seem to cut perfectly regardless of the speed settings.
Last edited by Will Winder on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 pm

I started off with a dremel knock off that worked for a while but its life ended in a spectacular display of sparks and fire.

After that I moved on to a DW660. I liked it alot. It was cheap, light, and came with 1/4" and 1/8" collets.
It can be used with a mostly stock machine and has way more power than a Dremel.
I am going to guess I put 4-5 hundred hours on mine, maybe more. It now sounds like a bearing is going bad and the runout became problematic.

So when I upgraded to steel wheels and OpenRail I stepped up to a DWP611. Its a great spindle but it has some drawbacks.
The biggest drawback is the lack of a 1/8" collet from the factory. Precise Bits makes precision collets for the DWP611 but they are almost 100 bucks for the set. The DWP611 is also expensive just by itself at about $130.00.

Unless you are really going to go gung ho and build a machine capable of handling the power of the DWP611, the DW660 is probably the best spindle for the money.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 am

Just wanted to post that the Black and Decker Rotary are which costs about $30 are 240 Watt which is higher than any Dremel, including the Dremel 4200 & 4000 @ 192 Watts

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX- ... otary+tool

*Edited a math typo, Not sure how I screwed that up but thank you for pointing it out.
Last edited by JuiceBox on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:57 pm

JuiceBox wrote:Just wanted to post that the Black and Decker Rotary are which costs about $30 are 240 Watt which is higher than any Dremel, including the Dremel 4200 & 4000 @ 121.6 Watts

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX- ... otary+tool
I think we managed to capture that in the Spindle Options table: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options

We have the Dremel 4000 @ 1.6 amps (but this review indicates 175W? http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2011/08 ... 5-review/1 ) and the Black & Decker @ 2.0 amps (I did add a note that the Dremel 4200 is equivalent to the 4000) --- would anyone want to chime in on the relative merits of listing items by

* amps
* watts
* horsepower

or have a source for a better conversion tool than http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/ ... -converter ?

It'd be nice to fill in the balance of the fields in that table (says the guy who kept forgetting to weigh his Dremel 4000 and only just now found a site w/ that datum).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Measuring power of a tool in amps is peculiar to North America, both because it's a current unit, not a power unit, and because it assumes 120 V. The same current (number of amps) at 230 V would mean twice as much power. A power measure is better than a current measure. It would make comparison easier, regardless of country or supply voltage. It would allow DC, single-phase AC and VFD spindles to be compared at a glance, too.

That leaves the watt and the horsepower. I think it would be cleaner and more universally useful to go with the SI unit for power, the watt. It's how tools are rated in most of the world. If you have an amp rating, you can convert it to watts in your head (multiply by 120). The watt is also more appropriate for small spindles (like my 0.067 hp Proxxon Micromot 50/EF -- which, by the way, draws no less than 4 amps... from a 12 V DC supply). For larger spindles, it has handy multiples: kilowatt, megawatt, gigawatt... And, after all, the Shapeoko is mostly metric anyway.

Oh, and Google can do conversions for you. Try (wihtout the quotes):
  • "50 W in hp" (horsing around with the Micromot 50);
  • "5 A * 120 V" (the DW660 au Système international);
  • "300 W / 120 V" (a nominal "amp" value for a 300 W DC spindle, for comparison purposes only; the actual current drawn by a 48 V 300 W spindle is "300 W / 48 V", which tells you squat about how it compares with the 5 amp DW660);
  • "1.21 GW in hp" (flux capacitor).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Sold!

Now to fill in the blanks.

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I love My kress but it is a bit too heavy for a basic shapeoko.
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

med

Post by med » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Hello,

apparently the Dewalt Spindles are not available through european suppliers in the same price range - what kind of spindles with enough power for bigger endmills a preferably used by european shapeoko enthusiast any recommendations? I thought about the makita RC700 but with around 200$ it is much more expensive when the dewalt spindles.

med