Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Talk about all things CNC

What is your favorite ShapeOko spindle option?

Rotary Tool - generic (specify)
4%
Rotary Tool - brand-name, e.g. Dremel 200 or 4000 (specify)
7%
Cut-out Tool - e.g., Dewalt DW660 (specify)
19%
Compact Router - e.g., Dewalt DWP611 (specify)
23%
Trim Router (specify)
10%
Carving Tool (specify)
1%
DC Spindle (specify)
26%
Palm Router - e.g., Bosch Colt (specify)
3%
Mini Spindle (specify)
6%

Total votes: 124

iquizzle

Re: Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Post by iquizzle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:22 am

I am thinking the same thing. Originally, I thought it would be ok just to have the extra available power. Once I saw the 1.5kW spindle in person.. well it is HUGE. The aluminum mount it comes with is pretty hefty. I'm thinking about getting the 600W spindle. They're about $150 on aliexpress. The DC range is up to 110V, so you can use easy to find 90V motor controllers and still get the speed up to 10k rpm.

jland

Post by jland » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I was looking at the 600 W motors, but the stumbling block seems to be the power supply - does anyone have a line on a 90-100 VDC, 6A PSU that's reasonably priced?

iquizzle

Post by iquizzle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Since these require voltages in the range of 24-110V, if you have 110V AC from the wall, I think something like this will work:
https://www.galco.com/buy/KB-Electronics/KBIC-120
It's a 90V controller, so it will get the spindle up to about 10k rpm. For a few bucks more, you can get something in a nice enclosure like this:
https://www.galco.com/buy/KB-Electronics/KBMD-240D

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 am

I've almost finished installed my Harbor Freight Cut out Tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-c ... 42831.html

It wont fit with the stock mounts, just a little too wide. I actually drew up the stock mounts, widened them and then adjusted the angled sections to mach the round diameter of the cutout tool. I am waiting on the longer m5 bolts before i can throw it all together. On the bench this cutout tool is pretty quiet, ill see if i can get a decibel rating with my crappy android app.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Brian wrote:On the bench this cutout tool is pretty quiet, ill see if i can get a decibel rating with my crappy android app.
It would be really nice if we could have a standardized rating for the noise level of the various spindles --- I've been considering removing that column, but would much rather populate it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm

dB is a standard and it is a good standard. The problem is that most people do not actually understand how to relate dBs to anything real world. I have a dB meter I use for my sound work. It is a device for testing dB across various ranges. There are also several ways to weight dBs (ex. human perception vs. actual loudness). The problem with pulling levels off of phones, is that if the phone has not been calibrated, or if the author did not write the app specifically for that phone, it will be a guess at best.We got my friends iPhone and I had 3 Android devices each using a sound app. I used "RTA Pro", and the oh so cleverly named "Audio Tool" on Android (both paid apps). I do not know what it was on the iPhone, but it was also a 'Pro' paid app. The 5 devices would never agree. Watching frequency was also shifting per device. The app will only relate what it is given and the whole GIGO is forever true here. Garbage in Garbage out. There are so many mics across so many phones. They are all super small to keep the phone small, and they are designed to be most sensitive to vocal frequencies, not full range.

The problem is in many times not the overall level it is a specific frequency range at a given level. Take for instance, my wife's hair dryer. You could have her enclosed in the bunkers in NORAD and still hear the thing in Texas. It is because there is a dominant frequency at around 1.2k (1200 hertz). Mid to low end frequencies travel through materials easier than super high frequencies. Think of a freshly drywalled empty room the sound is crispy. It is because the high frequencies are not able to penetrate the drywall, they are reflected back into the room. If you walk next door, you will very likely not hear these frequencies. If you listen for lower frequencies they come through without problem.

I have some material used for my old office which have an NRC (Noise Reduction Coefficient) of 1+ . These will absorb all frequencies down to roughly 300hz 100% or more and still reduce roughly 25% in the range of 125hz. I plan on using some of these to make a absorption chamber so the noise is not so much of a nuisance. I will need to leave one side open so I can keep an eye on the job at hand (unless I add some sort of camera) but a reduction of nearly 100% in all sides but 1 is significant.

I guess all this was to say. We can rate these things, but perhaps we can also help with providing solutions on how to help reduce the transmitted noise to the rest of the house so we have less loss of life of Makers from Maker spouses. dB is a proper rating, but we would need to include some education about how to relate it. There are many dB charts and how they associate to various things people are familiar with. But I think it would also due us some good (and I will look into this and report back) to come up with a frequency chart per device so we can see what kind of noise we are dealing with. But the majority of this is mid high to high frequencies.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:16 pm

I just found these.
Attachments
relative_SPL.gif
relative_SPL.gif (33.91 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
typicalsoundlevelscr.jpg
typicalsoundlevelscr.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Bnixon

Post by Bnixon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:56 pm

On a side not audio tools works really well with a calibrated external mic on the iPad!

I agree with you that more time should be spent on enclosure design then trying to buy a quieter spindle. I would think it would be much more realistic for the average maker then high dollar spindles IMHO.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:50 am

Did a quick test using a sound meter app on my android phone. Ambient shop noise was around 45 db which they list as a quiet office. The spindle placed approx 3 inches away from the phone with the air vents blocked with my hand to prevent wind noise and it went up to 86db or (according the app) the sound of a busy street or an alarm clock. This thing is LOADS quieter than my 2hp HF router which sounds like a jet taking off so I'm in love with it. I can run it without even considering the ear muffs i put on when using the larger router table. Both are actually 28000rpm. I've tested the large router but i need a black sharpie before i can test the cutout tool. Somehow all the the ones i had at my shop disappeared.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control

fishtoprecords

Post by fishtoprecords » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:19 am

I am still building my S2 so I can't make an intelligent comment on even how my choice is working, but I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone else is using one.

My daughter is a Fine Arts major and while she was in college, I bought her a Foredom flex-shaft machine. It has a large motor, a 3 foot long flex shaft, and handpiece. Jewelers and model makers use them. Its designed to be used for hours at a time. Hers had sat unused for a couple of years, so I have requisitioned it back. It has a 1/8 HP motor that hangs from the ceiling or a hanger. I've got a handpiece that uses collets, and have 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" collets to hold the end mills.

They are much more expensive than a normal Dremel, but for me, it was nearly free since I paid for it years ago.