Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Talk about all things CNC

What is your favorite ShapeOko spindle option?

Rotary Tool - generic (specify)
4%
Rotary Tool - brand-name, e.g. Dremel 200 or 4000 (specify)
7%
Cut-out Tool - e.g., Dewalt DW660 (specify)
19%
Compact Router - e.g., Dewalt DWP611 (specify)
23%
Trim Router (specify)
10%
Carving Tool (specify)
1%
DC Spindle (specify)
26%
Palm Router - e.g., Bosch Colt (specify)
3%
Mini Spindle (specify)
6%

Total votes: 124

Sisco

Re: Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Post by Sisco » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 am

I think with the new Shapeoko 3 coming out, this post may have to be edited to reflect the favorite spindle solution for the various models. I doubt you will see many Dremals mounted to the beefier Shapeoko 3.

Perhaps since the Shapeoko 3 is coming out, the title of this post can be "Vote for your favorite Shapeoko 1 & 2 spindle solution!" and a new thread for the Shapeoko 3 will appear.
Machines Make My World!
------------------------------
Inventables X-Carve (Shapeoko 2.5) -- Mid-May
MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12"
Harley Davidson Heritage Softail

DasWookie

Post by DasWookie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:08 am

Pretty surprised to not see anyone talking about the Quiet Cut spindle. Really liking mine. Seems to handle the sites and feeds I'm giving it, no heat our noise issues. I still have to setup the pwm direct control via gCode, but that's an optional thing for me still for now.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:15 pm

DasWookie wrote:Pretty surprised to not see anyone talking about the Quiet Cut spindle. Really liking mine. Seems to handle the sites and feeds I'm giving it, no heat our noise issues. I still have to setup the pwm direct control via gCode, but that's an optional thing for me still for now.
That's the top choice, with 28 votes as of this post. It's lumped under "DC spindle", because there's no difference between it and stuff you can buy directly from China on eBay. "Quiet Cut" is simply a clever name Inventables came up with for an existing Chinese product they're reselling.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Guess its all in the language, I got the sense (incorrectly) that the Quiet Cut spindle was somehow superior to the ones from China. Perhaps that's something to do with buying it from Inventables and if something goes wrong with it - you deal with Inventables vs some mfr in China that may or may not be reachable or honorable in replacement. I picked up that opinion from Winston Moy's review of the QC spindle. Wonder if the mounting holes on the SO3 will match up with an adaptor to mount the QC?
Shapeoko 3 #304

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:13 pm

As far as we can tell, it's exactly the same product, so the difference is in the service.

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Wonder what Inventables QC spindle source is exactly? Mfr and Model #
Shapeoko 3 #304

DaveHinz

Post by DaveHinz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 pm

I just ordered a 300W quiet cut spindle from Inventables. Called their number, an actual human answered the phone, didn't know the answer but had a knowledgable techie call me back a few minutes later. So, I've got a power supply, speed controller, and quiet cut spindle on the way from them, plus some collets and cutters.

Might be a few bucks more than ordering from some random Chinese vendor on eBay or AliBaba, but, it'll ship today and get to me this week, and I have a phone number I can call if something isn't right. To me, that's worth rather a lot.
- Eggbot
- Makerbot Cupcake (RIP)
- SO3, Bach 1, #174

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Completely agree! But it doesn't hurt to have the information: it helps the more confident or less time-constrained save some money, if they don't need the great Inventables customer service.

DaveHinz

Post by DaveHinz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:39 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Completely agree! But it doesn't hurt to have the information: it helps the more confident or less time-constrained save some money, if they don't need the great Inventables customer service.
Right, I see what you're saying. They might be selling me the same parts I could get from eBay or Alibaba, but, they've done the work, tested that these things work nice together, have them in stock in this country, and can have them to my door in a couple days. And if something arrives DOA, I bet they'll take care of my, unlike some random Chinese seller on eBay or Alibaba.

Not sure when my batch 1 SO3 will arrive, but, this will get to my house first, with bits, collets, and all that, and give me something to work on while I patiently wait for my Jan 6th ordered batch 1 SO3. And for not a lot more than the Dewalt router. Maybe less power but from what I'm reading, a LOT quieter.
- Eggbot
- Makerbot Cupcake (RIP)
- SO3, Bach 1, #174

DaveHinz

Post by DaveHinz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm

And for the record, I told John at Inventables (didn't catch the last name, but I suspect he's one of the main players), that this was for an SO3. He didn't have anything bad to say about my project, and was most helpful even though I wasn't buying an xcarve from them.
- Eggbot
- Makerbot Cupcake (RIP)
- SO3, Bach 1, #174