Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Talk about all things CNC

What is your favorite ShapeOko spindle option?

Rotary Tool - generic (specify)
4%
Rotary Tool - brand-name, e.g. Dremel 200 or 4000 (specify)
7%
Cut-out Tool - e.g., Dewalt DW660 (specify)
19%
Compact Router - e.g., Dewalt DWP611 (specify)
23%
Trim Router (specify)
10%
Carving Tool (specify)
1%
DC Spindle (specify)
26%
Palm Router - e.g., Bosch Colt (specify)
3%
Mini Spindle (specify)
6%

Total votes: 124

cvoinescu

Re: Vote for your favorite ShapeOko spindle solution!

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 pm

I would not have a problem selling you parts for a different machine either. That part does not surprise me at all. (It surprises me that some vendors don't think that way.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

DaveHinz

Post by DaveHinz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:03 pm

DaveHinz wrote:And for the record, I told John at Inventables (didn't catch the last name, but I suspect he's one of the main players), that this was for an SO3. He didn't have anything bad to say about my project, and was most helpful even though I wasn't buying an xcarve from them.
John Hayes.

And apparently I also talked to Paul Kaplan, who I suspect I've been talking to for decades on various Unix/Linux related forums.
(Now that I think of it more, I think I have conflated him with Paul Tomblin, who as far as I know, isn't involved in this topic in any way).
- Eggbot
- Makerbot Cupcake (RIP)
- SO3, Bach 1, #174

criscol64

Post by criscol64 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Is your quiet spindle making a high pitch noise at low speed?
DaveHinz wrote:I just ordered a 300W quiet cut spindle from Inventables. Called their number, an actual human answered the phone, didn't know the answer but had a knowledgable techie call me back a few minutes later. So, I've got a power supply, speed controller, and quiet cut spindle on the way from them, plus some collets and cutters.

Might be a few bucks more than ordering from some random Chinese vendor on eBay or AliBaba, but, it'll ship today and get to me this week, and I have a phone number I can call if something isn't right. To me, that's worth rather a lot.

Muessigb

Post by Muessigb » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:52 am

Hello!

I just bought most parts for making a Shapeoko 1.
The problem is, that I haven't found a spindle or a rotary tool yet, that works reliably and fits my bill.
The maximum that my budget allows me is 50-65€ and it should be able to make PCBs, drill wood (not too hard one) and ABS plastic.
I stumbled over many different rotary tools but they had all tradeoffs. The Dremel 3000 that i looked into seems to be build pretty badly. The Proxon 230 seems to be too weak.
The Black&Decker one is too expensive, same for the Dremel 4000 or a bare spindle with extra power supply and speed controller. If everything fails, I can get a Dremel 4000.
Any suggestions and ideas?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:34 am

In the experience of several people on this forum, Dremel tools aren't better than cheap, unbranded rotary tools (or DIY store brands).

I'd go with a 300 or 400 W Chinese DC spindle (from eBay). It's very nice for PCBs and can do wood and plastic too (even aluminium, slowly), but I'm not sure you can get the spindle and the power supply in that budget. You can skip the speed controller (I've never needed to slow down my 400 W DC spindle).

Edit: This was strictly a response to the post above, not a general statement.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 am

Well, I voted for the compact router (DWP 611) because. . . Well, because it is the ONLY spindle I have ever used since I started using my SO3 (which is my first CNC machine).
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015