Sketchup 3d Models – Update 27th July 2012

Talk about all things CNC
Max Metz

Re: Sketchup 3d Models – Update 12th Jun 2012

Post by Max Metz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:54 pm

This is the first of the Sketchup 3D modelled electronic components for the Shapeoko project, the Arduino Uno, now downloadable on Google's 3D Warehouse. :D

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 67ad6945df
Arduino Uno 002.jpg
Arduino Uno 002.jpg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Note: This model is based on the Solidworks model by Jorge Alberto Silva.
Edit 10th July 2012: There is an error in the placement of the female shield connector socket assembly placements, its tiny and likely occurred in the initial model translation, though it shows up when perfectly aligning an Arduino shield. This is corrected in the blue Arduino Uno model with the GRBLshield atop - this revised blue Arduino Uno/GRBLshield model is linked later in this thread dated July 12th.
Last edited by Max Metz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

morrows_end

Post by morrows_end » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 am

Wow, thanks for these sketchup files! I like the attention to detail.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:32 am

Thanks morrows_end. :D

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 pm

I have emailed off to Synthetos for drawings or a model of the 'grblshield' that fits on top of the Arduino Uno in the Inventables full and deluxe kits, hopefully I'll get a reply and be able to post a Sketchup model of that component for designing electronics enclosures and illustrating the wiring.

Generously, Inventables will apparently publish details of the little stand for the electronics and the eStop now included with the kits and these will be modelled too when the details become available. :D

bobt

Post by bobt » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Max - I went out to shsnao.com and found the switch on their site. All that is available is a picture of the item: Say7-11ZS It appears that just measuring the device and modeling from there is as good as it gets. The picture is on pg 9 of 12 of the sequence available.

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Max you should do us all a favor and make some Sketchup Tutorials :)
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

aldenhart

Post by aldenhart » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Max, We got your email about the 3d models but both Riley and I have been on vacation. We don't have any models but let's see how we can help. First, we are selling the v3 version of the grblshield as of about a week ago. It's almost identical to the v2 except that it uses 3.81mm 4 position terminal blocks for the motors instead of the quick connects. It also has a 2 pin header to take the reset line off for those who want to put it in a case. Please contact me again directly and we can proceed. (I know your email is in my pile but it's a huge pile of email due to the time off).

-Alden
Last edited by aldenhart on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 am

Bob, thanks very much for the link mate, I couldn't find the stop switch pictured though, as you say it may be a case of measuring it when it arrives some time in august or seeing what Invenables comes up with. Best regards and enjoy the rest of the week. :D

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 am

lol Atom, its just practice with Sketchup and then collecting useful scripts. The key to Sketchup is learning what the cursor is going to to do when it touches something in 3d space - its an intelligent cursor.

Here are initial some tips:

1. Passing the cursor over a plane will put the cursor in that orientation, holding the shift key will keep it that way. (if you have nothing with the orientation you want, quickly draw something that has and use that.)
2. Touching a point, pressing shift and dragging away from it will place the angle construction line in the axis you dragged in.
3. Touching a line with line construction tool and dragging parallel will create a construction line parallel to the first.

Construction lines are very important, they allow points to be quickly defined for intersections and alignments. The shift key is also important as it keeps the cursor constrained as it offers different options like axis and parallel to other lines. When the cursor is blue it is in z axis, red it is in the x axis and green in the y axis - as before the shift key keeps it that way.

After that it is just practice, when you find something useful assign it to a shortcut key if one is not already assigned so you can quickly use it again - for instance I assign remove all construction lines to the ` key, this saves heaps of time, h is for hide, u is for unhide, f is to call a script for making joined lines into a face, g is for group, e is for explode a group and so on.

When ever you use a tool, you can often type in the value, start a line in the x axis (you will see red as the constraint) type in the value for the length, type in another value to change it as much as you like and the length will keep changing. You can even type in 4" in a drawing set to millimetres, feet, meters and the program will instantly convert it to drawing units. Selecting a line already drawn will show you the length in "Entity Info" window if you have it open.

Imagine the object you are drawing is real, soon your hand and eye will learn to move around your object like a game, shortcut the stuff that you need to get the job done. Hope some of this helps. Best regards :D

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks Alden, I received your email and will get back to you, your offer to help is very much appreciated.

A week ago I would not have known the importance of the reset switch on the grblshield and the big benefit of having it externally switched, this is all a very steep learning curve for me, though a very interesting one. My very best to you both mate - hope you enjoyed your holiday. :D