Sketchup 3d Models – Update 27th July 2012

Talk about all things CNC
AtomSoft

Re: Sketchup 3d Models – Update 12th Jun 2012

Post by AtomSoft » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Max.... I am going to PRINT THAT! Thanks so much... cant wait to gain some more skill :)
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

bobt

Post by bobt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Ok - Max - Here is the link to the item:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... CCgQ7gEwAA

It is a translated page - item is in second row and third item over Say7-11ZS. My switch has the base white, button is red and connection points on bottom are red and green.
Basic sizes - measured with my electronic digital caliper
Cube bottom is 37.36mm/1.47in long by 29.76mm/1.172 wide by 34.16mm/1.344in high
cylinder on top is 28.5mm/1.111in in diameter 31.41mm/1.236in tall undepressed 28.22mm/1.10in tall depressed
red button top is 39.86mm/1.567in in diameter and 12.86mm thick with base - base is 7.11mm/0.28in in height.
height on cylinder to moutpoint on plastic frame 10.62mm/0.418in

Any more questions just ask.

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey Max i dont want to change the subject but just wanted to say thanks. I think i understand this way more :) but will practice more as well :)
Attachments
skills.jpg
skills.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks very much for that Bob, much appreciated mate. I'll knock something up from your measure, post it and you can compare it with the original - that will be a challenge! Enjoy your weekend mate. :D
Last edited by Max Metz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Looking good Atom, you have the orientation part sorted by the looks of it, its a fun thing to be able to whip around in virtual space and create stuff. Sketchup is a very powerful tool because it can be so very quick and intuitive - I love Google products and their business model.

You can take any of those faces and extrude them out or in with the push pull tool, you can also draw a shape on any of those faces in your model and just extrude those new shapes out from the surfaces they sit on with the same push pull tool. That heaps of fun! After you get the hang of it, grab an object and model it, that will teach you lots of stuff, the stuff you need for the way you personally work.

I use a cordless pen with a graphics tablet, a simple little old Wacom Bamboo Fun, it makes the process even easier than with a mouse because its absolute rather than relative like a mouse.

Years back I started doing perspective block models on a comadore64 'luggable' with a tiny screen, used lots of 3d software thereafter but Sketchup is the best for concepts because its fast and you orientate right in there within virtual space like a game.

Enjoy the weekend mate. :D

ps: here is a link to the official google tutorial video's: http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/training/videos.html

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:13 am

Bill, I gave it a shot, here is the rough model of the stop switch from your dimensions and the image with a link to the model on Googles Trimble 3d warehouse. :D
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 67ad6945df
MyBat Shapeoko stop switch 001.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko stop switch 001.jpg (142.62 KiB) Viewed 1752 times

Digitalmagic

Post by Digitalmagic » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 am

You should try a parametric modeler, best suited for industrial design, and efficient for CAM translation.
There is a well-known open source one: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... =Main_Page
You can set constraints, have value/formula defined dimensions, extract drawing, simulate robot animation, etc...
For even more designer fun 8-)
Mushroom-Parametrized.JPG
Mushroom-Parametrized
Mushroom-Parametrized.JPG (62.62 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Very nice magic, though Sketchup Pro is parametric without too much trouble through dynamic components, I have used this feature a lot. For those not into drawing and making their own models parametric there is a Sketchup plugin by one of the BricSys companies called Driving Dimensions which is the same as their parametric add-on for Rhino. http://drivingdimensions.com/SketchUp/overview/

Here are two of my examples for laying out architectural features in a sketch design from 2008.

The first is shower stalls which fit within certain parameters when run along a wall or line, infilling the stalls within the area to comply with a given regulation. Other similar dynamic components are used for toilets, urinals and hand basins making the sketch design easier to transform to a developed design later and providing better presentation in the sketch design phase.
Shower Stalls.jpg
Shower Stalls.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
The second is of one of a number of quick dining room / restaurant layout parametric tables and chairs - this is a diagonal layout parametric component laying out tables with regulation isle min widths and the like, as the component is stretched across a floor area the tables and chairs fill the space complaint with correct minimum circulation and chair space. Others similar components include round tables, again with diagonal or regular layout.
Tables Diagonal Layout.jpg
Tables Diagonal Layout.jpg (179.74 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Window, door, stair, hospital beds and many other parametric components form my library for making quick decisions about the capability of space for different purposes allowing me to concentrate on the aesthetic. Similarly these components could just as easily be gears, pulley and belt arrangements and other mechanical devices - the principle is the same.

Best regards. :D

Digitalmagic

Post by Digitalmagic » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Max, great. white flag! white flag! I surrender. :D

Architecture and CAD/CAM are different fields.
Architecture inception is creativity freedom. Sometimes, doors are rounded, shapes are organic, walls are neither parallel, nor straight.
Gaudi (Barcelona) would have hated BIM software, would have loved 3d printed and Moldflow!
To simulate gravity, he was conceiving scaled models, upside down, and building were mimicking organic shapes.
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm

lol magic.

Antonio Gaudi was a genius, a genius with a soul, some of his methods including those you mention are inspirational in themselves. My very best to you mate. :D