Sketchup 3d Models – Update 27th July 2012

Talk about all things CNC
Max Metz

Sketchup 3d Models – Update 10th July 2012

Post by Max Metz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:45 am

For creation of these 3D models Alden Hart provided all the information on the Synthetos GRBLshield, including a full set of 2d drawings and complete component information - thanks Alden. :D

There are three models uploaded to Trimble 3D Warehouse, the latest GRBLshield v3 with bock motor connectors, the older GRBLshield with quick connects (modelled as a V3 with the motor connectors changed) and a GRBLshield atop an Arduino Uno. Here are the links to the Sketchup models:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 67ad6945df
GRBLshield v2 004.jpg
GRBLshield v2 004.jpg (173.7 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
GRBLshield v3 004.jpg
GRBLshield v3 004.jpg (158.21 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Arduino Uno & GRBLshield v3.jpg
Arduino Uno & GRBLshield v3.jpg (180.83 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
The boards are clearly lettered V2 and V3.

Hopefully these models will help those planning on making electronics enclosures (allowing one to consider access to important items such as pot access, plug positions, led positions and the the like) plus as an aid for those familiarising themselves with the physical board layouts before their machine arrives. I learnt heaps making these models. Best regards. :D

AtomSoft

Re: Sketchup 3d Models – Update 12th Jun 2012

Post by AtomSoft » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 am

That is sexy! Want to do mines :) j/k
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 am

These are beautiful! Are they available in any other formats than Sketchup? My modeling software doesn't know Sketchup and I really want to incorporate these models into the 'official' model.

Thanks!
Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:08 am

If you download the trial version of Sketchup Pro you can export it out as any number of formats.

DWG would probably be your best bet; although it may not export with the same colors/textures.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks Atom.

If you have the board plan in some cad format, the heights and stuff for your board I can model yours as well. The most important bits are the overall dimensions, the locations for access, the heights for clearance and some photographs so I can try for the look of the thing - just give me a link to where I can download your files. Best regards. :D

ps: any models produced must be freely and publicly available including on Trimble 3d warehouse, no commercial or any other agreement will be entered between us (including no obligation from either side) and any associated risk is yours.
Last edited by Max Metz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks Edward.

Inventor imports in a number of formats, luckily the free version of Sketchup allows the use of plugins, there are free Sketchup export plugins for Inventor compatible formats at the Sketchucation plugins forum. Here is the link:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewfor ... 507ee7133e

Sketchup plugins are being updated and added all the time, just search for the formats Inventor allows - I used stl for importing your models into Sketchup but there may be better options. Importing Sketchup into Inventor will be far easier than importing Autodesk Inventor into Sketchup - dwg, dxf and many of the other Inventor formats are deliberately not compatible with open drawing alliance member products on the way out of Inventor but you will find they are compatible on the way in.

Best regards. :D

ps. sea2stars suggestion of using the trial of Sketchup Pro is likely the better option as it exports a larger number of formats.
Last edited by Max Metz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 am

Your right sea2stars, the trial version of SketchUp pro would likely be a better option than using plugins - good stuff! :D

Max Metz

Re: Sketchup 3d Models – Update 27th July 2012

Post by Max Metz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Here is a toggle clamp model similar to those found on ebay for a few dollars - just search model 'toggle clamp 201A'. The clamp is small with a holding power of around 27kg (60lbs).

Toggle Clamp 201A.jpg
Toggle Clamp 201A.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Max Metz, thank you very much for the SketchUp models!

I found the fully-assembled ShapeOko especially helpful when trying to figure out whether a change I was thinking about worked or not. You know, there's this annoying property of solid objects that they can't occupy the same space at the same time. It makes building working machines so much more difficult. But having a model is almost as good as having the real thing to hand, and less expensive!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks cvoinescu.

That's just what I had hoped when doing the models, so I am thrilled you find them useful, especially in your case as my home switches will will work because of you. Life is cool and sharing makes it cooler.

Your comment, "...there's this annoying property of solid objects that they can't occupy the same space at the same time", made me grin - the speed of Sketchup has certainly made for a better understanding of space among designers and given many with a design flare more opportunity because of the low cost.

Places like this forum bring a range of expertise to the table and the subsequent interaction between the various disciplines is very exiting. I am still having a chuckle from time to time at your comment born from my careless mixing up of the positive and negative terminals of the Arduino, you managed to be gentle yet very amusing. Enjoy the the rest of the week mate. :D