Thank Will Adams

Talk about all things CNC
edwardrford

Thank Will Adams

Post by edwardrford » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:39 am

The Shapeoko 2 documentation is not done by inventables. We (the community) are responsible for those documents. And by we, I mostly mean Myself and Will. And by Myself and Will, I mostly mean Will. This is by choice, and something that I don't want to change. IMO, there isn't anyone outside of the shapeoko community that can do a better job than we can.

Although given a guideline and a rough start to the v2 docs, Will basically took the task of documenting v2 and Ran with it. He's taken close to a 1,000 pictures to help support his words, and made something like 300 commits to github. Which, by comparison is 2x as many as I have made towards the docs, and 15x the next closes person. He's a perfectionist and a professional, and is constantly working on making things better. I shutter to think how many hours Will has put into this project since starting the docs in November.

Not only that, but Will had to learn a new system of documentation (that I was basically making up on the fly and changing a few times a day for the first week) and to top it off he had to put up with my overbearing nature and at times thanklessness. All of which, he's taken in stride.

While replying to a thread earlier, it dawned on me that I may have never told Will thank you for all the work he's done here.

So Will; Thank you! I really appreciate everything you've done. And if anyone else appreciates what Will had done, please let him know below.

Cheers,
Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

criznach

Re: Thank Will Adams

Post by criznach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:55 am

Thanks Will. You got me through it and I'm happy as can be. You've answered a number of questions for me. Rock on. :)

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 am

Thank you, Will for an awesome job on the documentation so far!

Many of us new guys think (hope?) that everything will be perfect when we get our long awaited boxes and the frustrations of the learning curve and the relative complexity of building something unfamiliar can spill over into this forum.
For me, the fact that I managed to assemble everything easily and fairly quickly was fantastic; I had thought that it would be more difficult than it actually was. The assembly steps around the Z-Axis, however, are the most difficult and complex. There are many different ways of showing the breakdown of what you are trying to achieve and how to get there, not all of them align with everybody's way of thinking - we are all different...

As Edward has mentioned, the documentation comes from this community and we are collectively responsible for helping to make it better as more perspectives come into the group. It sounds like we already have some Technical Authors in the group that could lend their considerable expertise to the evolution of the sterling work that Will has put into the documentation to date.

Again, thank you Will, all your hard work here is much appreciated.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

You're all very welcome

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm

The most appropriate way to say thanks would be to:

- use the machine safely, please wear hearing and eye protection and suitable clothing
- share what you learn as you use the machine
- point out (or fix) errors in the documentation or work to make them better
- post projects, in-progress or finished or just initial inspiration
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Just adding my "Thank you" here to Will.

I see you updating the doco constantly. Don't you have a day job? :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams

Thanks to all the community

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Moreover, it's not me creating this stuff in a vacuum --- the thanks has to go back to the whole community who're creating the content (those who're curious can load the Members list and sort it by # of posts) --- don't want to drag this out, or it's going to sound like an awards speech --- mostly I just organize it and get it linked into the wiki so that I can find it again if I ever need to refer to it.

Yes, I do have a day job, but some days it's slow and other days it's setting up a script to perform changes on thousands of graphic files and I've got to do something while waiting for it to finish.

The big thing is I tend to get obsessive about learning about different things... science fiction, graphic & type design, TeX/LaTeX, fountain pens, wood-working, archery, &c. CNC is just the latest obsession.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:53 pm

He works hard and is humble, thanks Will!

He (and other admins) are also helping approve new member registrations, which helps me out a lot (Edward and I used to be the only ones) since we get lots of new members registering every day. It's great to see this community growing and learning, people like Will make the new member experience much easier.

WillAdams

I'm just a mod, yes, I'm only a mod...

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Enraged wrote:He (and other admins) are also helping approve new member registrations, which helps me out a lot (Edward and I used to be the only ones) since we get lots of new members registering every day. It's great to see this community growing and learning, people like Will make the new member experience much easier.
Uh, I'm just a moderator --- I don't see any new member registrations --- I can pitch in and help if you and Edward want to make me an admin...

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Well some mysterious person is helping me then. I used to approve all of them, now a lot are already approved by the time I get to them.

Tom Smith

Re: You're all very welcome

Post by Tom Smith » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

WillAdams wrote:The most appropriate way to say thanks would be to:

- use the machine safely, please wear hearing and eye protection and suitable clothing
- share what you learn as you use the machine
- point out (or fix) errors in the documentation or work to make them better
- post projects, in-progress or finished or just initial inspiration

Yeah, yeah...

accept the Thanks, Will, you've definitely earned it. I've been with this project for a long time, and you've contributed pretty tirelessly to the documentation, wiki, etc. You deserve the recognition, bud :)