What Spindle and Bit for Garolite (G10)

Talk about all things CNC
valvetrain

What Spindle and Bit for Garolite (G10)

Post by valvetrain » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 am

Any experience or recommendations for which Spindle and Bit give the best performance and longevity when drilling and cutting 3/16" Garolite (G10)?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: What Spindle and Bit for Garolite (G10)

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:03 am

That's a specific sort of fiberglass, right?

We've a bit on carbon fiber in the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... rbon_fiber

Please note the health-aspect need for dust collection and clean-up and breathing gear.

Other potentially useful links and notes for investigation:

these bits may be a good choice: http://precisebits.com/products/carbide ... router.asp

Further note:
By far the best End Mill to use on G-10 is a Hi Spiral Aluminum Solid Carbide End mill . For the longest life ( such as it is ) you want as big a chipload per tooth as the Machine/ and or part can handle. The less time the tool spends rubbing the longer it lasts, so the steep cutting angle on the tool ( aka high shear ) means the chips eject out from the slots quicker.
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=10)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

TDA

Post by TDA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Sorry I'm a little late to this.

PCB router bits (usually marked chip breaker or diamond cut routers) were actually made for cutting this kind of composite. They have many cutting "teeth" to give you a good cut and tool life. Doesn't hurt that they are cheap either. Personally wouldn't try it with normal endmills as the tool life is typically horrible.

You usually want high RPM with medium feeds. Although this will depend on the tool size. Don't want to break any rules on the forum so I won't post a link but we have recommend feeds and speed under "Reference" then "Tutorials" on our site. You may also want to take it in multiple passes to reduce deflection depending on your machine.

One other thing you need to be aware of is you need really good hold down for a clean cut. Also watch how close your cuts are to each other. You will get reverberation if your material gets too thin between cuts. And as Will said make sure you have a good way to keep from breathing it.

If there's anything I can help with let me know.

John Torrez
Think & Tinker / PreciseBits
John Torrez

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 pm

We have no problem w/ on-topic vendor participation as an active and engaged part of the community.

At a guess you were referring to this? http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/ca ... speeds.htm
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

veng1

Post by veng1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:02 pm

First, let me say I absolutely agree with good ventilation and a dust shoe with fiberglass.

I've milled lots of PCB as I also own a T-Tech prototyping machine. I started out using plain carbide router bits intended for wood in routing glass filled polyester on my ShapeOko. I then changed to end mills. Finally, I changed to the diamond cut routers and have not yet found anything better. On a non-fibrous material, the diamond cut router bit will leave ridges which is obvious if one looks at the construction. Raising or lowering the Z-height half the height of the diamonds will clean it up although I usually don't bother.

The reason I kept changing was in looking for the bit that gave the largest chips with the idea that the larger the chip the less likely it would be to float in the air and into a nearby operator's lungs. Mine, for example.

TDA

Post by TDA » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification Will.

Here's the link to the diamond cut router feeds in copper clad (Link). They should be good for straight G10 as the core material is almost the same. Keep in mind you can run faster if you have a strong enough machine but will start to pick up tool deflection. RPM and feed can be scaled too (wish I had a 60k spindle).

If I can be of help let me know.

John Torrez
John Torrez

wz9v

Post by wz9v » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Does anyone know of a good supplier for 3mm or 6mm thickness panels?

I'm not looking to do circuit boards I'd like to use it for structural panels.
Shapeoko 2 - Mechanical kit 4731
Z-Axis Acme Screw Upgrade / Makita RT0701C / Re-enforced Y and X-Axis / External Belts on Y / Extrusion work top

scott216

Post by scott216 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm

wz9v wrote:Does anyone know of a good supplier for 3mm or 6mm thickness panels?

I'm not looking to do circuit boards I'd like to use it for structural panels.
McMaster has them in 1/8 and 1/4 inch
http://www.mcmaster.com/#garolite/=r6cpg3
Last edited by scott216 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 2 with DW660
grbl v0.9g
PCB Toolchain: Cadsoft Eagle > pcb-gcode > Chilipeppr or GRBL Panel
Other Toolchain: Fusion 360 > Chilipeppr or GRBL Panel
My Build Log

wz9v

Post by wz9v » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks. I'm new to this and still trying to figure out where to get raw materials.
Shapeoko 2 - Mechanical kit 4731
Z-Axis Acme Screw Upgrade / Makita RT0701C / Re-enforced Y and X-Axis / External Belts on Y / Extrusion work top

rnelias

Post by rnelias » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 am

Hi there! I'm still waiting for my Shapeoko 2 but already planning what I'll need on my projects.

I'm thinking in using Shapeoko basically to cut frames and chassis for RC models.

Most of them will use G10 (Garolite) or CF of 1/16" (~1.6mm) or 1/8" (~3.2mm) thick.

What bit diameter should I take? I know the answer will depend on speed and feed rate but I'd like to have an idea... (I have 0 experience in CNC cutting :shock: )