i/o shield for limit switches, user buttons and controls

Talk about all things CNC
lordmundi

Re: i/o shield for limit switches, user buttons and controls

Post by lordmundi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:28 pm

very cool. i'd love to see this made available somewhere as a kit or a fully constructed board!

fjohn624

Post by fjohn624 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:31 pm

So this never really went anywhere. I did make an updated version which works with grbl 0.8 and 0.9. I am using the new one and I made one for a friend and lordmundi jumped in to cover his share for one. After hearing how much they liked their boards, I have decided it would be smart to just release the .brd file so people can make their own boards if they are interested. Maybe if there is a enough interest someone can set up a group buy to be able to lower the costs by buying in bulk.

lordmundi did have a good idea though. Anyone know of a site similar to how Shapeways works but for circuit boards that could build boards to order for people?
Attachments
IMG_5282.JPG
IMG_5282.JPG (257.31 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
IMG_5281small.jpg
IMG_5281small.jpg (215.28 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:50 pm

I can testify that it works great. And, I like the position of the terminals as it allows you to work on most things without having to remove the g-shield.

Also, I'll just state again, on my soapbox, that hooking up limit switches without some sort of filtering is just asking for trouble. There are screenshots showing 3 or 4 Volts Peak-to-Peak coming in on those lines from noise from the motors. Even getting it working once doesn't mean you won't get some false trip later right when you are in the middle of an important job. Get some sort of filtering like these great opto-isolators.

And to top it off, since he already had the opto-isolators, he added protection for other inputs as well like the probe, and the reset, hold, and cycle start inputs. And, he has nice jumpers to make it backward compatible with GRBL 0.8 if you want that. Just a great design all-around I think.

fjohn624

Post by fjohn624 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:52 pm

I have uploaded a zip file with the board and schematic files, a photo, parts list, and connection diagrams. I have uploaded them to be open source as I don't intend on ever making any money off this, all I ask is:
1. No one else takes this and starts selling them for a profit. Group buys are acceptable and actually encouraged as long as originator is not making a profit from it.
2. You may make changes to the design but please do not call it your own. That would be theft of intellectual property. I would prefer that you leave my Twitter handle @John_Fuoco on the silkscreen layer as well.
3. Show it off after you make one and put it to use. Then spread the word. Tweet about it and tag me so I see it!

Thanks,

John
Attachments
I-O shield.zip
By downloading this attachment you agree to the three conditions in this post.
(368.96 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Last edited by fjohn624 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:04 pm

fjohn624 wrote:Anyone know of a site similar to how Shapeways works but for circuit boards that could build boards to order for people?
For prototype and small-batch PCB manufacturing, I've had good luck with ITead Studios. OSH Park comes highly recommended, but I haven't tried them.

If you're also looking for PCB assembly, I'm not aware of any service that will do that for you in small numbers at reasonable prices -- probably because it takes time to set up a pick-and-place job, and it means downtime on a very expensive machine. As far as I know, companies that do circuit design send out for prototype PCBs, but assemble them in-house, by hand, or with a manual pick-and-place machine. (In fact, this was the impetus behind Juha Kuusama's machine and software, the LitePlacer -- it's specifically geared toward automating pick-and-place for prototypes. I like how it uses computer vision intelligently to save set-up time.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

fjohn624

Post by fjohn624 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:11 pm

yea these were actually done from OSHpark. They came out good. I didn't think there would be any that would make them for that reason. Too hard to set up so not any profit in it.

The good news is that this board is very easy to assemble. That was kind of the intention behind its design.

scott216

Post by scott216 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:52 pm

You should be able to just make one of these boards using the shapeoko. I make PCBs all the time.
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 pm

The PCB manufacturing is not the problem, it's the assembly, if you were to sell them. It's an interesting and useful board, so it may sell respectable number. Sadly, probably not enough to warrant contracting out the assembly, but too many to hand-assemble in the garage. Also, there would not be a great ongoing demand for them: the Shapeoko 3 already has buffering on the Carbide Motion board, so this is only for retrofitting existing gShield-based Shapeoko 2 machines.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

scott216

Post by scott216 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:19 pm

I just meant if somebody wanted one for themselves, they could make it on the shapoko, I wasn't thinking about any sort of volume. It's probably a bit expensive to get it from OSH Park, unless you could split it 3 ways since you get 3 PCBs from them.
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:52 am

I think this would make a great kit for people to assemble themselves. There aren't any surface mount components so even a novice could assemble it. (most put the S2 together)

Just a thought :D
cvoinescu wrote:Also, there would not be a great ongoing demand for them: the Shapeoko 3 already has buffering on the Carbide Motion board, so this is only for retrofitting existing gShield-based Shapeoko 2 machines.
You forgot the X-Carve could benefit from this too.