help need to design table for my enlarged shapeoko

Talk about all things CNC
trnr

help need to design table for my enlarged shapeoko

Post by trnr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi forum

I have seen many enlarged shapeokos with their varies designs. and i can't come up with a decision on how i should make my table. i just want to bolt my shapeoko to the top of the table. factors I'm concerned with are 1. price, i want it as cheap as possible 2. i want it to be dead lvl (to make achieving accurate cuts much easier) 3. wood is preferable 4. I'm australian so things are more expensive here
i have thought about buying two ikea tables and bolting them together.
can someone help me make a decision :)

trnr

twforeman

Re: help need to design table for my enlarged shapeoko

Post by twforeman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Cheap and dead level may be mutually exclusive...

If you want level and rigid (which is probably what you really want) then you should build a torsion box.

This is a great video on how to build one: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/ ... rsion-box/
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Build a torsion box.

- Arrange to get two sheets of thin, durable material as large or larger than the bed you want (possibly the cheapest option will be buying a single sheet and cutting it in half)
- purchase some good quality 2x2 (or equivalent metric size) stock in lengths equal to or longer than the longest dimension you want
- get some good quality glue (I like Titebond III, but any good quality wood glue will be fine)
- cut down and arrange the bracing into a lattice structure w/ half-lap joints, screw and glue it into place into one of the sheets while it's arranged on a flat surface
- repeat for the other side

Alternately, buy (or scrounge) a good quality hollow core door in an appropriate size (it's just a pre-made torsion box) and glue and screw a sheet of MDF or particle board to one side.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

trnr

Post by trnr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

awesome thanks for the tips!

i like the door idea but my dimensions are 1500mm x 1800mm

trnr

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

For something that large, my inclination would be to use a pair of hollow-core doors and a sturdy framework to hold them --- I don't think you'll be able to get sheet goods in that large a size --- what are you planning on cutting that will be that size to begin with?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:45 pm

I am betting that you will have a difficult time finding something to fit all those variables, especially inexpensive stuff. First off, I'd put down some lengths of extrusion in the middle of your machine to help support the middle of the panels. Then perhaps something like MDF closet shelving could sit on top of those supports. MDF is fairly inexpensive and seems to be about the flattest sheet good in the home centers around here.

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:05 pm

I would definitely do a torsion table. Here in the states you can get sheet goods big enough to do it in one piece. Mdf would be my material of choice, cheap and flat. If you have access to a table saw or track saw it should be pretty easy.

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 pm

I had a torsion box idea using 80/20. I would take 3/4" cabinet grade plywood and use it as a top and bottom skin for the 20mm 80/20 torsion box. Space the 80/20 beams running from side to side every 12-18", then have a set running down the length from front to back. It would take a number of drop in nuts, and you would have to counterbore the holes. Once you had it all screwed together that would be one really stiff flat surface. Plus, because of the outside 80/20 you can bolt your shapoko rails right to it.

-Chase
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

trnr

Post by trnr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am

WillAdams wrote:what are you planning on cutting that will be that size to begin with?
i plan on making flat pack furniture and the most common dimension for flat sheets material in Aus is 2400x1200mm so i wanted to be able to cut the full 1200 that is why it will be 1500 wide. i felt 2400 long was just to long so i went with 1800 seen as i can just push the whole sheet through.

i think what every i do the bed will have a join in it. i will look into the doors and torsion box designs

thanks!