Openbuilds opinions

Talk about all things CNC
awesomename

Openbuilds opinions

Post by awesomename » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm

I have been looking around a lot on openbuilds, mostly at the larger format OX machine, as well as their version of "v rails".

Who here has first hand experience with these rails and wheels system? How is it compared to the Shapeoko?

I really want to build a sturdier and larger platform and have been finding that maybe a different extrusion/vrail type system would be better.

dcartier

Re: Openbuilds opinions

Post by dcartier » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 am

No experienced here, but I watched the build video about a week ago and it does look like a pretty impressive machine.

The use of solid v-wheels should be less prone to compression, the quantity of wheels used, and the belt positioning using the solid wheets as the idlers is also a neat idea. The Z axis also appers to be very close to the X, which should help to limit flexing. I also like the way the structural members position themselves off the implicit size of other members (extrusions butted/accross/against other extrusions) which should help to make it easier to get a square, level build.

I almost ordered some of the parts for a 1.5M x 1M build last weekend. My head said yes, my bank account said no! :cry:

Dennis

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:07 pm

For the latest iteration of my shapeoko I ditched makerslide for the most part and moved to openbuilds v-rail mounted on hfs5-4040-600 for x and y. Very happy with the outcome. Stiffer than makerslide ever could be. No real downside other than clearance between the motor plates and the rail - button head screws are a fix for this. And the inventables wheels are 100% compatible with openrail.

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 pm

akhlut wrote:For the latest iteration of my shapeoko I ditched makerslide for the most part and moved to openbuilds v-rail mounted on hfs5-4040-600 for x and y. Very happy with the outcome. Stiffer than makerslide ever could be. No real downside other than clearance between the motor plates and the rail - button head screws are a fix for this. And the inventables wheels are 100% compatible with openrail.

So you went with the rail only bolted into a misumi extrusion? Why did you pick this over the openbuilds "V rail extrusions"

Do you think the openbuilds rail extrusions themselves are of the same quality or better than the makerslide?

groguard

Post by groguard » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:05 pm

I have also gone with openrail on the X and used the HFS5-4060-1000, it has been great. Im very happy with it. Im also using the inventables v wheels. Quality is great on the openrail. I think it is much more ridged now on the X VS 2 pieces of makerslide with a 20x40 piece of extrusion sandwiched in between.
Shapeoko 2 #3920. Nema 23's. Belt drive Z axis, ACME rod upgrade,
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
DW660 with Super-Pid, IC's DW660 dust shoe.
Build Log

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:11 pm

groguard wrote:I have also gone with openrail on the X and used the HFS5-4060-1000, it has been great. Im very happy with it. Im also using the inventables v wheels. Quality is great on the openrail. I think it is much more ridged now on the X VS 2 pieces of makerslide with a 20x40 piece of extrusion sandwiched in between.
Would you be able to post some pics of this? Im especially wondering how the spacing looks with the 40x60 extrusions. Any pics you have would be great.

groguard

Post by groguard » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:20 pm

awesomename wrote:
groguard wrote:I have also gone with openrail on the X and used the HFS5-4060-1000, it has been great. Im very happy with it. Im also using the inventables v wheels. Quality is great on the openrail. I think it is much more ridged now on the X VS 2 pieces of makerslide with a 20x40 piece of extrusion sandwiched in between.
Would you be able to post some pics of this? Im especially wondering how the spacing looks with the 40x60 extrusions. Any pics you have would be great.
If you take a look at my build log I go into detail with pics.
Shapeoko 2 #3920. Nema 23's. Belt drive Z axis, ACME rod upgrade,
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
DW660 with Super-Pid, IC's DW660 dust shoe.
Build Log

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Yes. I bolted http://openbuildspartstore.com/openrail-black-anodized/ onto a piece of 4040 extrusion.

http://i.imgur.com/FXP0pam.jpg

But now that I think about it you're referring to v-slot, and not openrail (I think of it as v-rail).

As far as the http://openbuildspartstore.com/v-slot-20-x-20mm/ I'm not sure as I haven't used it. My concern with it would be keeping debris away from the wheels, but if you add some debris guards and some sweepers to cut down on dirt I don't see why not. And I can't see why it wouldn't be of the same quality as makerslide. Everything I've ever bought from openbuilds has bee first rate.

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 pm

akhlut wrote: But now that I think about it you're referring to v-slot, and not openrail (I think of it as v-rail).

As far as the http://openbuildspartstore.com/v-slot-20-x-20mm/ I'm not sure as I haven't used it. My concern with it would be keeping debris away from the wheels, but if you add some debris guards and some sweepers to cut down on dirt I don't see why not. And I can't see why it wouldn't be of the same quality as makerslide. Everything I've ever bought from openbuilds has bee first rate.
I'm not sure why the debris issue would be any better or worse with the slot than with the rail. The slot is open at the bottom, so debris has a place to go.

I've got a length of the 2020 V-slot that I'm going to put to use as an overhead hose support track in my enclosure. That can't really be compared to gantry axis applications, though, so I probably won't be able to provide relevant feedback.

I'm using their now-discontinued hardcoated OpenRail on my 1000 x 500 ShapeOko, and I've been very happy with the quality of their products and customer service. I had some issues with tolerances on some steel wheels (too tight, I crushed bearings during assembly), and they took good care of me.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 pm

This came up before on buildlog.net. In short, what I said was that V-slot was more versatile, and MakerSlide more rigid.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk