Blown gshield v5 ( I think) - ReSolved

Talk about all things CNC
noproblem

Blown gshield v5 ( I think) - ReSolved

Post by noproblem » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm

OK i think my gshield v5 is blown . just want to verify if this true statement.

OK did some milling yesterday and all worked great . Now this morning i decided to continue with my milling and turned the machine on and heard the stepper motors making a loud beeping and grinding noise and the led flashing on both on the Z and Y axis so I quickly turn everything off. Looked at all the connection to see if there was any loose wire . nope no loose wire so turned it on again and same load noise and grinding and flashing light .

So i disconnected all the axis connections off gshield and just connected Y axis from the motor to the X axis on the shield alone since it wasn't flashing when I heard the beeping noise. Turned everthing back on however this time no noise the Y axis moved fine using the X jog control . then did the same for the Z axis then the X axis all work fine using the X terminal from the shield

Based on the above do you think I am correct that the Z and Y drivers are blown ?
Last edited by noproblem on Thu May 08, 2014 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

cvoinescu

Re: Blown gshield v5 ( I think)

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:09 pm

It may also be your Arduino, or the connection between the Arduino and the gShield. Not sure which is more likely.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

noproblem

Post by noproblem » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:38 pm

You having me thinking so , I pulled out some extra uno's from others project and connected each to the gshield and non of them work with same issue as the first. When connected to the gshield .

Hmm its sad that the gshield only lasted about 30 mins of actual milling time and 2 weeks the owner .

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Did you closely inspect the GrblSheld to ensure there are no aluminum chips on the board shorting something out?

Or anywhere else?

I only ask because you stated you were milling aluminum, and chips tend to get everywhere.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

noproblem

Post by noproblem » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 pm

No milling aluminum just wood actually was milling inserts for the waste board . that's it nothing else .

I think I got a Gshield that was semi defective that finally failed, I also did a close inspection and couldnt find any visual issues. I also noticed and forgot to mention that this issue only happens when the motors are connected to the shield, meaning if the both shield and uno are connected together then connect to pc and sender software the axis leds lights up fine using the jog control. But when I connect the Z or Y or both from the motors to hear the loud noise. So it seems that the both driver on the board went ( power issue driving these axis)

however since I used it for 30 minutes max I am stuck with it . I guess thats life

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Contact customer support. If you bought it from Inventables, they'll make it good -- they have truly excellent support.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

noproblem

Post by noproblem » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 am

Thanks for the heads up I will call tomorrow , I hope will replace it although it considered electronic,

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:16 am

Oh, my mistake, for some reason my brain put "aluminum" in your original post. :oops:

So, one more stupid question: Did you adjust the current pots? If they are too low or two high the motors can make funny noises and not move.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

noproblem

Post by noproblem » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 am

Actually that was one the first things a thought of, I turn both pots all the way to the left and slowly turn them to the right and the noise and hissing just got louder and louder

noproblem

Re: Blown gshield v5 ( I think)- Resolved

Post by noproblem » Thu May 08, 2014 1:33 am

Thanks to Inventables and thier GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE - Yes SAM they replaced my grbl shield. now everthing is working again

Marvin