Dewalt Dw660 Brushes Worn?

Talk about all things CNC
Stevend

Dewalt Dw660 Brushes Worn?

Post by Stevend » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:46 pm

I started my Dewalt Dw660 trim router the other night and it worked intermittently for about 1 minute and then stopped all together. Am I correct to think that the brushes are worn out? And if so, how easy is it to replace them? I purchased the trim router about a month ago, so I know it is not from extensive use or abuse. In the meantime I have purchased another to use and would like to repair this one for a backup.

Thank you,
Steve Donovan
Shapeoko 2 #4281 upgraded spindle to dw660, Upgraded Y to 1800 mm Y x 780 mm X Upgrade to Nema 23 on all axis, TB6560 BOB, Mach 3.

scott216

Re: Dewalt Dw660 Brushes Worn?

Post by scott216 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:17 pm

I haven't replaced my brushes but I have taken my DW660 apart; it looks like it would be pretty easy to replace the brushes. It doesn't seem like the brushes would wear out so quickly. If its only a month old can you return it? If not I'd recommend you take it apart and look at the brushes. Also check the wiring inside.
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:17 pm

If it's only a month old, take it back and get another one.

Brushes should last for years.

http://www.dewalt.com/Warranty-Information.aspx
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Stevend

Post by Stevend » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 am

I tried to take it back and the hardware store would not honor the warranty due to a modification. (taking the Colette lock plastic off) I bought another, and would like to repair the original one to use as a backup.
Shapeoko 2 #4281 upgraded spindle to dw660, Upgraded Y to 1800 mm Y x 780 mm X Upgrade to Nema 23 on all axis, TB6560 BOB, Mach 3.

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:06 am

Really? That's maybe pretty poor. That's just cosmetic. Unless they were thinking that you'd dropped it and broken the plastic, damaging it, which of course wouldn't be covered.

Ah well, the life of a modder!

It's when they try and sell you extra warranty cover on the item, and you explain that you are going to be ripping it apart for some reason, and they still push the insurance like they'd ever fix it or take it back once you've taken it apart!

My dad destroyed about 4 Dremels through, er, 'Overuse', in about 2 weeks, and eventually the store refused to swap or replace. He was milling a 6' x 2' aluminum block into a PU injection mould by hand with them. They just aren't designed for that level of use.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

scott216

Post by scott216 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am

Stevend wrote:I tried to take it back and the hardware store would not honor the warranty due to a modification. (taking the Colette lock plastic off) I bought another, and would like to repair the original one to use as a backup.
How about taking the collet lock off the new new DW660, put it on the broken one and try returning it.
I got my DW660 from Amazon and returned it (high run-out in collet and it was hot) - no problem. Amazon makes it very easy for returns.
BTW - the new one ran hot also, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. By hot I mean the collet and shaft got very hot, even if I wasn't cutting anything.
Also, since you now have two sets of collets, I recommend measuring the runout in each to see which is best.
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 am

AIUI, the cut-out tools are designed for intermittent operation --- it's actually a bit surprising that they work as well as they do in continuous operation. I think the trim routers are a more appropriate choice for a spindle --- my Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router has worked out quite well.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ekoelle

Post by ekoelle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I had a brush break on my DW660 after about a month of use and replaced it with part #445861-36 from ereplacementparts.com. I also bought a new one while waiting for the replacement brushes as they took a while to arrive so I can't speak to how long they last as I only replaced them and tested that it worked. It's now sitting in a box as a spare.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/brush-p-67557.html

~Eric

ksaiyo

Post by ksaiyo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 am

Disclaimer - I will not say or suggest that you install or fix this yourself. As you know, as a do-it-yourselfer you modify this device and anything else under the sky AT YOUR OWN RISK! - you are risking your health and your property.

Okay, disclaimer aside. I haven't taken my DW660 apart, but if it is not a broken brush there may be a one shot thermal overload fuse. A lot modern motors have them these days as an overheating motor could lead to a fire which turns into your insurance company chasing down the manufacturer with an army of lawyers. Back on topic, if you have determined that it is not a broken brush, and you can find this thermal fuse (must likely a Fusite) there is a model number and temperature rating on there. You can order few from Mouser or Element13 for a few bucks a piece. Find your own way to replace it as they are often soldered or (thank you cvoinescu) crimped in, if you're lucky they have used screw terminals (as they did on an old rice cooker I had).
Last edited by ksaiyo on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Not soldered, because that trips them. They may be spot-welded, though.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk