Cooling an endmill using air diverted from router?

Talk about all things CNC
Brian

Re: Cooling an endmill using air diverted from router?

Post by Brian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Woodworker wrote:I am aware that alcohol doesn't create sparks but your Dremel or trim router does! I read both articles and I do not believe there is any situation using a SO 1 or 2 that would require alcohol as a coolant. I hope you never find out what an alcohol fire looks like or have to experience any damage or physical injury. This is a hobby and should be fun, not potentially dangerous.
I meany aluminium, hah.
Alcohol is on my router at work, which has a sealed spindle so no chance of ignition. For the shapeokos I'd go with mist coolant as opposed to alcohol unless you have a sealed spindle. The other big advantage with alcohol is that it doesn't leave any residue that you have to clean off before welding or general use. I was going back and forth between my shapeoko and my router at work, sorry for the confusion.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I've asked this before, but haven't got a satisfactory answer. Why not use distilled water instead of alcohol? It may not evaporate as quickly, but it doesn't leave a residue either, and it's much less flammable, to say the least.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Found a couple of threads which argue that carbide tools should be used dry or w/ flood coolant, but not w/ mist.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Brian

Post by Brian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:20 pm

WillAdams wrote:Found a couple of threads which argue that carbide tools should be used dry or w/ flood coolant, but not w/ mist.
Ive heard it also depends on what kind of coating the endmill has. I run uncoated carbide endmills in my work router and in my shapeoko, my mill i used coated endmills with flood coolant.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control