Where to start

Talk about all things CNC
Jigsawman

Where to start

Post by Jigsawman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:11 pm

I plan on picking up one of the ShapeOko full kits (110V), but want to make the bed larger. I think at least 2.5 by 3.5 feet minimum. I understand where to get the pieces for the frame and such to do that but have no idea what to do in regards to the software and basically telling it that the bed is larger. Does that make sense? I am as new as it gets with this stuff so please bear with the very stupid questions.
Thanks,
JSM

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Where to start

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:08 pm

All that's necessary to take advantage of a larger size working area is to design larger parts and download them to the machine (when one has the origin set appropriately to allow them to be machined).

The Shapeoko is quite simplistic in that it doesn't use an encoder or other systems which would require that the software know in advance how large the machine is --- it just assumes that the machine will be able to move to a given X,Y,Z coordinate.

I added this to the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Scaling_Up
Scaling up is a simple mechanical matter --- since the Shapeoko is a simple machine w/o encoders, there is no necessary software configuration --- the software simply assumes that the user has taken the responsibility of ensuring that a given file's request to move to a given X, Y, Z coordinate will be w/in the machine's working envelope.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

GRBL 0.8 is not aware of machine size. GRBL 0.9 has settings for that, so it should not be a problem. So do other firmwares (TinyG, Marlin etc) and controller software (LinuxCNC, Mach3).

On the CAM side, there may or may not be a "machine size" setting -- usually, there isn't.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:14 pm

And, I updated it and added a link back to Catalin's post.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Jigsawman

Post by Jigsawman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Geez, that does make it simple. Nice. Thanks for the replies you guys.
JSM