Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Talk about all things CNC
TonyB
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Norwalk, Ia

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by TonyB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Just a heads up for others, I ordered from this site:
http://www.sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/Pa ... -020DF0908
I shipped it to my apartment address, thinking I would get it before I moved out. Turns out, it came to my apartment after I had moved, so it was sent back to the company (sdp-spi.)

They contacted me asking why it had been shipped back. I explained the situation and gave them a different address. After that, I got no response and have not received my purchase. It's been over a month! I emailed two more times with no response; one back to the employee who contacted me and once to their generic "contact us" email address.

Moral of the story, get your shipping address right or don't deal with this company! I'm a little angry about it, since I may be out something like $50.

Any advice on how to deal with this sort of thing?
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread
Image

Gadgetman!
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Have you checked with whoever is living at your old address now?

Maybe it ended up there again?
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

cvoinescu
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Camberley, UK
Contact:

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

I found SDP/SI sales and customer service unresponsive too, but their products excellent. They never got back to me on several sales queries, both on the phone and via email.

If they said they would send it to your new address and didn't, and are not returning your calls, bring it up with your credit card company. I doubt they're doing it on purpose, but that still doesn't mean you should be out $50.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

TonyB
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Norwalk, Ia

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by TonyB » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:Have you checked with whoever is living at your old address now?

Maybe it ended up there again?
I had a forwarding address with the apartment office; though I'm not sure whether they would ship the package back (like they would if I was still living there) or forward it on.
cvoinescu wrote:I found SDP/SI sales and customer service unresponsive too, but their products excellent. They never got back to me on several sales queries, both on the phone and via email.

If they said they would send it to your new address and didn't, and are not returning your calls, bring it up with your credit card company. I doubt they're doing it on purpose, but that still doesn't mean you should be out $50.
To my surprise the package finally showed up yesterday! It's a bit frustrating, but at least it's here so I can finally install the idler pulleys and belts a receive quite awhile back.
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread
Image

TonyB
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Norwalk, Ia

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by TonyB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 pm

As I was installing these belts last night, I started to wonder... do you have to retune the motors when switching to these belts? Or are all the dimensions the exact same (except width of the belt)?
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread
Image

WillAdams
Posts: 8616
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15
Contact:

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:06 pm

If you had GT2 6mm wide and bought GT2 9mm wide, then the theoretical 2mm tooth spacing should stay the same.

That said, if you have a long axis, I suspect that you'll see less belt stretch and if you'd calibrated your machine so as to account for belt stretch ( http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ting_Steps ) then you would probably want to re-do said calibration (and I suspect the number will be lower, closer to the ideally calculated value).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

TonyB
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Norwalk, Ia

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by TonyB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:13 pm

WillAdams wrote:If you had GT2 6mm wide and bought GT2 9mm wide, then the theoretical 2mm tooth spacing should stay the same.

That said, if you have a long axis, I suspect that you'll see less belt stretch and if you'd calibrated your machine so as to account for belt stretch ( http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ting_Steps ) then you would probably want to re-do said calibration (and I suspect the number will be lower, closer to the ideally calculated value).
Awesome, thanks! I should have probably put two and two together on that one :).
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread
Image

groguard
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:01 am

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by groguard » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm

When I ordered my pulleys, I had no issues with them. I also didn't have anything come up where I needed to contact them.
I also recalibrated my machine when I put the new belts on. Anytime I do anything to the belts I check calibration. Cool to see how many people are upgrading their machines to 9mm belting.
Shapeoko 2 #3920. Nema 23's. Belt drive Z axis, ACME rod upgrade,
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
DW660 with Super-Pid, IC's DW660 dust shoe.
Build Log

TonyB
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Norwalk, Ia

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by TonyB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 pm

groguard wrote:When I ordered my pulleys, I had no issues with them. I also didn't have anything come up where I needed to contact them.
Sounds like, "Get it right the first time." Is a good solution, lol.
groguard wrote:I also recalibrated my machine when I put the new belts on. Anytime I do anything to the belts I check calibration.
Good to know, I guess I'll do a recalibration. It's pretty simple in Mach3, so why not?
groguard wrote:Cool to see how many people are upgrading their machines to 9mm belting.
I'm excited to see how they do. I have a little bit of backlash left after spending a decent amount of time making modifications, I'm hoping this will be my last major change for backlash.

By the way, thanks for putting the information together!
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread
Image

chomdh
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm
Location: Bettendorf, IA

Re: Upgraded to 9mm wide belts

Post by chomdh » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:11 pm

I just realized the stock idlers are just barely not wide enough to fit a 9mm belt. Then I found the first post in this thread points to a wider idler at openbuildpartstore.

My question is: do I only need to order the plastic pulley and longer m5 screws? Or do I need the 5mm precision spacer also?
Basically, do I need to order the kit for $4.85 or can I just order the wider wheels?
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

Post Reply