Premature order

Talk about all things CNC
Improbable Construct

Re: Premature order

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Dhpenner1 wrote:As a new Shapeoko 2 owner (1 month), I have no regret with my purchase. I was nervous because shortly after my purchase I heard about the announcement. I think the Shapeoke is a more rewarding experience and there is always room for improvement. It looks like Carvy is doing good on KS. It's already surpassed it's goal.

Plus Carvey is still a year away (September 2015) from delivery if they meet their shipping goals.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 pm

So the challenge is now to come up with plans for an enclosure for the Shapeoko that would make it just as snazzy as the Carvey, for half the price -- and you get to build it yourself!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Pssh, my SO enclosure is already snazzy, has an access door, room for my tools and I can park my car in it. I'd like to see them do that with a Carvey.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

crazeegeek

Post by crazeegeek » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Very interesting and definitely not what was I expecting, but there is for sure going to be a market for this thing. In fact, there have been a few pass through here that would have wanted something like this. It will interesting to watch and I'm waiting to see what the new firm from Inventables looks like.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Yeah, I've been schlepping my SO out to either the deck or the carport to cut, but have considered getting a long enough extension cord to operate it in the shed (for rainy days).

There've been some pretty nice enclosures posted here, but I don't think anyone has used gas lifts --- I would like for the Inventables folks to post the plans for their machine and it would be nice to work up some reasonably-affordable enclosure design.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

groguard

Post by groguard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:16 pm

My whole problem with "Carvey" is the design isnt very unique, and the price point. There are other desktop machines that offer what it does for less.
Shapeoko 2 #3920. Nema 23's. Belt drive Z axis, ACME rod upgrade,
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
DW660 with Super-Pid, IC's DW660 dust shoe.
Build Log

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:58 pm

The gas lifts don't impress me at all -- they are the obvious thing to do. Bart's laser cutter has gas lifts too. You can buy them from Misumi.

The problem with this type of industrial design is that Inventables can spec bent acrylic and folded sheet metal. They are cheaper in quantity than assembling them from flat sheets (fewer parts overall, much fewer fasteners, and the extra operations don't cost as much); but they're very difficult for hobbyists. So even if/when Inventables release the plans for the enclosure, they won't be of much use to us.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Schruminator wrote:Pssh, my SO enclosure is already snazzy, has an access door, room for my tools and I can park my car in it. I'd like to see them do that with a Carvey.
Same with mine.
It even locks so that no one can mess around with it when I'm not there...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Chrisprols

Post by Chrisprols » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:04 am

All,

Clearly Inventable is designing Carvey for another type of users.

We like/love to build our machine, to tune it, to upgrade it, etc.
They will like/love to plug it and produce a item directly ...

However I am very interrested in some features carvey has and that we could implement on our shapeoko.

enclosure (with/without view, large opening rather just the front door to be openned, gas lifts, cable passage, etc.)
self zeroing on x and y
self zeroing on z
spindle control
one-button operation
blank positionning and holding
etc.

NB: if you know of threads that talk about any of those subject : please share the link :)
Shapeoko 2 #4852 with Bosch Colt

ThatOtherGuy435

Post by ThatOtherGuy435 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 am

We already have self zeroing - home switches + a touchplate/probe with GRBL 0.9. Nothing particular fancy there, but a clever implementation of the touchplate for sure.
ShapeOko1 #??? - 1000mm Dual-drive Y, Double X, S2 gantry motor plates, ACME Z-Axis.