Premature order

Talk about all things CNC
SniperTeamTango

Re: Premature order

Post by SniperTeamTango » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:09 am

I died a little inside at the announcement of it not going to lie. It just feels so dumbed down for what should be an introduction to an intensive industry topic. I'm at a loss as well for how they think it will do well in industry fields, its cost is way too high when a stock shapeoko kit does it all and more for 1/5th the cost...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:22 am

They used to sell a similar machine at a similar price --- this adds an enclosure and their controlling the content / capabilities of the machine, so hopefully will work out well for them, though I wonder how well they'll compete w/ the Nomad which has the advantage of bundling well-established software.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

SOuser

Post by SOuser » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:30 am

There are other desktop machines that offer what it does for less.
Could you link to them?

jimw

Post by jimw » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Chrisprols wrote:However I am very interested in some features carvey has and that we could implement on our shapeoko.
self zeroing on x and y
self zeroing on z
spindle control
blank positionning and holding
etc.
NB: if you know of threads that talk about any of those subject : please share the link :)
Our hackerspace Workshop 88 saw a demo of Carvey and was impressed by some of the same things you're interested in and would like to implement them on our SO2.

Figuring that 95% of the time the workpiece would be rectangular and have a corner at 0,0, we attached an L shaped corner index to the spoilboard near 0,0 and made a clamp sort of like Carvey's (a lot like ThatOtherGuy435 said here). Looks like this: Image (Of course it can always be removed for an unusual shape/size workpiece.)

Next step is to mount a touch switch on top of the clamp and implement Carvey-like automation. Since we also want to support Easel, a macro in UGS or the like isn't ideal. The current plan is to hack maybe a custom M code into grbl0.9g using G38.2 to do the touch switch dance. We think we can store coords of the switch and the Z offset maybe in G59. It looks like (at least in the current 0.1.6 version of EaselLocal - always dangerous to use undocumented features!) in the grbl0.9 config file is the G10 command Easel issues when you click "Confirm home position". We plan to change that to our custom M code which will do a real home cycle followed by the Z probe. There's some additional hacking there, as Easel barfs if homing is enabled :(

It's very much work in progress. There are often gory details here. If there's interest, I'll try to post again when we have it working.